Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Disable A/C during defrost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Default Disable A/C during defrost?

I've got a 2006 Elantra GLS. I hate the 25% HP loss when the A/C compressor engages while I've got the defroster on. I just want some warm air on the windshield, not to remove moisture from the interior. Is there a way to disable the A/C compressor while I've got the defroster on? I never had this problem with the 2001 model, so their engineers definitely broke this.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wahooman
I've got a 2006 Elantra GLS. I hate the 25% HP loss when the A/C compressor engages while I've got the defroster on. I just want some warm air on the windshield, not to remove moisture from the interior. Is there a way to disable the A/C compressor while I've got the defroster on? I never had this problem with the 2001 model, so their engineers definitely broke this.
25% HP loss? Let's see, if I remember correctly, the 2006 Elantra makes 138-hp. So that mean your A/C compressor is using 34.5-hp to run. WOW! Sounds like you have a problem with your A/C compressor better get that fixed. Most A/C compressors only use about 2-3 hp.

Using the A/C helps the defrost. The engineers definitely did NOT break it.

Last edited by NovaResource; 10-16-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:38 PM

LOL, I don't know if it's literally a 25% loss, that was spoken for dramatic effect. Using the A/C for DEFOG makes sense, for deFROST, the A/C does nothing. Frost is on the outside of the window, the A/C only works on the interior environment. Thing that's broken is that I can't run the defroster without the compressor kicking on. I'd like to have the option of using the A/C only when it's needed. Can you tell me how I might accomplish that?

Old 10-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

LOL, I don't know if it's literally a 25% loss, that was spoken for dramatic effect. Using the A/C for DEFOG makes sense, for deFROST, the A/C does nothing. Frost is on the outside of the window, the A/C only works on the interior environment.
Running the compressor doens't mean cold. Turning the temp to hot still gives heat but with the added benefit of defog.

Thing that's broken is that I can't run the defroster without the compressor kicking on.
Again, that's not broken. It's designed that way. Just like all modern cars are.

I'd like to have the option of using the A/C only when it's needed. Can you tell me how I might accomplish that?
Disconnect the wires to the A/C compressor clutch or buy a different car.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Running the compressor doens't mean cold. Turning the temp to hot still gives heat but with the added benefit of defog.
The reduction in power and engine efficiency is not a benefit in my book, if I don't need defog.

Again, that's not broken. It's designed that way. Just like all modern cars are.
Well, perhaps the engineers are broken.

Disconnect the wires to the A/C compressor clutch or buy a different car.
I love my Elantra, but that's exactly what I'm thinking. I was hoping there was a way to just disconnect it from running when I don't want it to. I've always got the manual A/C switch for when it I do need to defog. Like I said before, it was that way with the 2001 model, and it worked just fine. This is deeply distressing.

Thanks for your input!

Old 10-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

The reduction in power and engine efficiency is not a benefit in my book, if I don't need defog.
Seriously, the reduction in power and efficiency are minimal.