Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Elantra Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Default Elantra Transmission Fluid

Ok, so my fiance was working on my 2000 elantra. He changed the transmission fluid without talking to me... just buying some random cheap one and sticking it in there. The car of course started having problems. At one point it would only go reverse. I didnt drive it for several months. Was told by a couple people it would need a new transmission.
When it was recently started up, it now seems to be driving fine. We didnt want to push it too much so I still havent been really using it.
I guess I'm hoping to find out if maybe all I will need to do is flush the transmission again and this time use the right fluid??
I'm hoping to be able to use my car again. I dont want to have to buy a new car and plus, I like this car.
I would like to know if fixing it is going to cost more than the car is worth.

Anyone have any knowledge they could share??

Old 07-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

It might be okay if you didn't drive on it too much. I'd get it flushed out and have new SP-III fluid added. If no problem arise, you should be fine. If you start having problems again you'll probbaly need the trans rebuilt.