Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Engine Oil And Filter Suggestions For A 2000 Elantra

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Default Engine Oil And Filter Suggestions For A 2000 Elantra

Im going to be doing an oil change for my girlfriend this weekend...but I gotta say the owners manula is anything but specific about much of anything...it suggests so many different grades of oil that I dont know what I should be using in this thing. Realize this is Florida and the heat, although it will be getting cooler soon. Today I had to add some oil for her, and was a little surprised at the burnt oil on the dipstick and appearant sludge under the filler cap and what I could see under the cover.

So Im thinking of doing a brief 3000 mile oil change interval, but would be interested in anybodies recommendations for this neglected sludger to clean it up and keep it running smoothly for many years to come.

Also recoomentaion or part numbers for oil filters would be appreciated too, although I currently prefer PureOne oil filters.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Engine Oil And Filter Suggestions For A 2000 Elantra

A good oil to use would be grade 5W-30 it is a good all season grade oil and is really good in the heat. One reminder if your car has over 50k miles and hasn't been run on synthetic don't use it because an engine that has not been broken in on synthetic oil tends to leak out of the seals.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

5w-50 is an odd grade. Though effective I would still suggest the use of 5w-30. You don't need anything fancy, I use Pennzoil and it has done the trick for me for years. It is a well balanced oil and does the job in any temp. A standard oil filter, Fram in particular, works well. I travel alot, city trips, heavy traffic, and highway, I have never had a problem. It's your decision, but tyat's my spin on things.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry my Aussie bud, I didn't notice the 1. To be honest with you I have never dealt with that particular grade number before. I was just recommending what I know of the state side grades of oil. I was going off of the assumption you meant 5w-50 which is a terribly thick oil here, my mistake. Hell, for all we know we could be talking about the same grade of oil just said differently. So ShortbusX, go for whatever grade you want whether it be 5w-30 or 15w-50, I know what I'm talking about and believe that Trakka does to, so you have two good sources have fun.

Oh and Trakka, I know you Aussies work with the Accent alot down there. I have the engine of my 95 3-door all finished and am working toward the body now, if you could give me some sites or dealers of body kits for my year Accent I would appreciate it greatly.
Thanks,
Poacher

Old 10-24-2005, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Trakka.

I love to post, if I can help somebody from shooting their car out of frustration then I've done my job.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

I just checked that site you gave me and might I say that I love you. You have no idea how underappriciated those cars are over here

Old 10-27-2005, 12:51 PM

Well I went with Castrol GTS anti sludge formula 5w30 and a Walmart SuperTech oil filter.

The old oil was a very dark brown/black and very thich upon draining, let the car run till it warmed up to get as much of it out as possible. The filter that was replaced was not the same size as the one I purchased, very over sized and generic...at first I was concerned I had the wrong filter, but then realized my girl had gotten her oil changed by a local gas station and he probably just threw on any filter that would fit and poured any oil he had laying around.

With so much visable sludge, I considered running a flush, but figured if anything happened to this car itd be all my fault and just decided to go with a thinner oil in hopes of breaking down this sludge and plan to do another oil change within 3000 miles.

I really have/had no fear of running a synthetic in this, Mobil 1 is a very clean oil and knew it would help clean it up...matter of fact, the car was run low on oil and she asked me to top it off just about a week before doing the change and I poured a couple quarts of M1 5w30 to top it off...with no ill effects.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Old 10-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Glad it worked out for you.

Old 10-27-2005, 05:00 PM

In my opinion, it hasnt "worked" until the sludge is gone...damn women drivers!

Old 10-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

HaHa, I hear ya. You should be in good shape though, that synthetic should clean that block up pretty well. For next time might I suggest you use the fram filter that is available. The Super-Tech works but I really don't like it and don't trust them.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil And Filter Suggestions For A 2000 Elantra