Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Engine Sputters/Stalls HELP PLEASE!!!

Old 01-12-2007, 04:22 AM
Default Engine Sputters/Stalls HELP PLEASE!!!

Hi everyone

I got a problem my 1998 Elantra 1.8 has a sputtering problem and finally stalled the other day its been happening for about 3 weeks maybe more at first I thought I got bad gas cause once it would get close to the last line of gas gauge it would start to sputter while sitting at a light but only did it sitting if you gave it a little gas it would stop sputtering or if you put gas in it it wont do it anymore tell it got down to that line again.
But resent I was pulling out of drive way of buddys house and it started to sputter but this time it stalled restarted it right back up and drove to nearest gas station put 10 in tank and it stoped after that.
But just wensday it sputtered a couple of time while sitting in traffic for over 30 minutes prety much just letting off brake and costing to next stoping point witch was a couple of feet and tank was almost half.

Any suggestions would help going toplay around with it Saturday if you got any get to me hopefully before then.

Going to change spark plugs and wires and stick fuel injection cleaner in tank too any suggestions on witch kind to use or should I?

Old 01-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Default RE: Engine Sputters/Stalls HELP PLEASE!!!

Possibly water in the tank since it acts up when close to empty...try a good gas treatment additive that will help clean up any water or other possible contaminants in the tank.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:13 PM

Yeah thats what I thought at first tell it did it just idleing in traffic on a half tank which made me thank it was something else.
Do you know any good fuel injector cleaners that take care of water in tank or do I need just a gas treatment? Do you know any good one of either?

Old 01-13-2007, 01:35 PM

STP makes an all season water remover thats made specifically to remove water...id try that first then it wouldnt hurt to use a fuel injector cleaner http://www.stp.com/fuel_water.html

Old 01-16-2007, 01:52 AM

Ok it stalls and sputters now no mattter how much gas you got in the tank so thinking its not water or bad gas now replaced the plus and wires and put fuel injector cleaner in tank and still does it if your sitting at a light or stuck in traffic and it dont matter if your in drive or neutral so anyone got any ideas of what it could be besides water in tank,spark plugs or wires?

Old 01-16-2007, 12:55 PM

Possibly the fuel injectors themselves are going bad if theres nothing wrong with the fuel.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:04 PM

But if it was Injectors wouldnt it sputter all the time and not just Idle?

But going to try when this tank gets low when its time to fuel up ill drop a bottle of water remover in tank to. Since already put injector cleaner in this tank fuel up.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:26 AM

Ok
Ive replaced the spark plugs and wires
PCV valve and fuel filter and put fuel injector cleaner in tank,and had battery and alternator checked and good and it still wants to sputter and stall at an idle
What should I try next iam thinking its the idles speed acutuator any other suggestions?

Old 01-23-2007, 01:59 PM

Check your oxygen sensor, this can cause engine sputter when needing replaced.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:07 PM

Something else, make sure that your plugs are gapped properly and the correct plugs are being used. I've been sold the wrong plugs before. I had to change my oxygen sensor @ 80,000 miles for the same reason. Check your air filter also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Sputters/Stalls HELP PLEASE!!!