Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Engine Sputters/Stalls HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:18 PM
Default RE: Engine Sputters/Stalls HELP PLEASE!!!

Yeah ive pregapped them berfore installing
Ive had a code reader put on car but didnt pull anycodes cause sheck engine light was not on

If one of the 2 O2 sensors was going out wouldnt in cause a check engine light?

Also was thinking could it be Coil Pack?

Old 01-23-2007, 02:44 PM

Yeah, the check engine light will come on. Mine is a 2.0 liter, I drove it about 250-300
miles before the light came on. Have someone check your catilytic converter, it may be
collapsed on the inside. (rotted out).

Old 02-05-2007, 11:03 AM

Did you finally get it fixed???? My 97 is acting up and it seems to be pointing in the direction of fuel pump pressure, fuel filter and / or injectors. My #3 doesn't seem to be getting any gas. Loads of spark on all 4 cylinders and I'm getting really poor power when I put load on engine. Wants to stall and sputter. Anyway let me know what you found out.
Thanks,
Paul

Old 02-08-2007, 02:26 PM

Does your vehicle have a coil pack situated on top the engine. Sometimes when these become old the insulation on these break down.

If myour engine check light is on it might pay you to have it plugged in at a dealer and see if this gives you a clue.

Best of luck

Chris.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Also, when my battery was going down, the idle got rough. As soon as the new battery was in, it ran fine.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:23 PM

Thanks for all the Replies,
Finally fixed by installing Dealer HT wires. I thought I had spark but I quess it was a lot weaker than it should have been. The parts guy there was real friendly and suggested lots to check for but those wires did it.
Another happy Elantra owner

Old 05-17-2007, 12:27 PM

Just an update on my problem...Thought it may help someone else...
I had a subsequent idle problem that I finally nailed downas the input manifold gasket with the help of some Quick Start spray. I discovered a one inch section of gasket close to cyclinder #2 was gone,I temporarily repaired withRTV liquid gasket and will change the whole qasket soon. What a difference in performance though. That gasket must havebeengoing for some time because my engine now just purrsand there's loads of smooth power when I need it. When I picked up thenew gasketfrom my local dealershipthe Service manager was there and he had quessed it was either the 3 or 2 cyclinder since that's where the thinnest parts of the gaskets are.
Another '97' Elantra in the grove again........ Cheers....Paul

Old 06-22-2007, 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Casper84

Hi everyone

I got a problem my 1998 Elantra 1.8 has a sputtering problem and finally stalled the other day its been happening for about 3 weeks maybe more at first I thought I got bad gas cause once it would get close to the last line of gas gauge it would start to sputter while sitting at a light but only did it sitting if you gave it a little gas it would stop sputtering or if you put gas in it it wont do it anymore tell it got down to that line again.
But resent I was pulling out of drive way of buddys house and it started to sputter but this time it stalled restarted it right back up and drove to nearest gas station put 10 in tank and it stoped after that.
But just wensday it sputtered a couple of time while sitting in traffic for over 30 minutes prety much just letting off brake and costing to next stoping point witch was a couple of feet and tank was almost half.

Any suggestions would help going toplay around with it Saturday if you got any get to me hopefully before then.

Going to change spark plugs and wires and stick fuel injection cleaner in tank too any suggestions on witch kind to use or should I?
Got the same problem with my Hyundai, after filling the tank recently the engine speed became erratic: it would race while driving (tach at 1800 forcing me to keep my foot on the brake in a 25 mph zone); when braking for a turn it would vary wildly between a couple hundred and 1500 rpm; if breaking quickly rpm would fall to under 400, would sputter and stall unless I would two-foot. It continued to do this intermittently, sometimes stalling while cornering. I took it to the dealer for its 60,000 mile scheduled maintenance; they found no problem except a possibly partially clogged fuel injector. I used some OTC fuel injector cleaning stuff to no avail. Took it to a very good independent mechanic. He spent three days checking sensors, motors, valves, computer, draining and replacing the fuel. Everything independently checked out A-OK. So, ask for a second opinion... The second mechanic told me that my car is equipped with a electronic throttle control. So there is no adjustment. The idle speed is determined from the ECM. He scanned my car for trouble codes and found out that Hyundai oxygen sensor was shorted and needs replacing. So just replaced my sensor and the was fixed immediately.. I was able to drive the car the next day with no trouble of sputtering and stalling at all... Good luck!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

It always comes down to a sensor. It seems like the ones prone to failure are the O2 Sensor, the Throttle Position Sensor and the Crankshaft Position Sensor. My car is still well within warranty, but as it gets older I'll have to remember this!