Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Haynes manual for 2001

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Default Haynes manual for 2001

I need to buy a repair manual (time for the timing belt to be changed) so I went to Amazon. I can get the Haynes 1996-2001manual nice and cheap. All's well.

Then a helpful reviewer has written "does not cover the 2001"!!!

Can anyone comment on this. According to the reviewer the 2001 was "all new" and so this book is of no use.

Your help is much appreciated.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Default RE: Haynes manual for 2001

Hyundai provides basic diagnostic and repair information on their service site at http://www.hmaservice.com/. It requires you to register and log onto the site, but it is free. It only works with Internet Explorer.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:53 PM

Thanks for that. I've now registered I think (?) figured out that my 2001 is an "XD".

I'm confused as to how to access info though. How would I find info about replacing a timing belt?

Thanks again.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:34 PM

This site is actual designed to support the dealer network, but Hyundai makes the information publically available. I'll be the first to admit that this site is a bit quirky, but it's loaded with a ton of useful information that I haven't found anywhere else for my Hyundai. First of all, make sure you click on the "Site Requirements" button on the login screen. There are a couple of viewers that you need to make sure are on your system to access some of the info.

Once you login, there are four section that I use most under the "Service Information" tab. "Shop" provides the mechanical schematics and repair procedures. "ETM" provides the electrical wiring schematics (although some basic electric info can be found under the Shop section). "DTC" provides summary of the diagnostics codes scan from the car's computer. "TSB" is where you can find full copies of the Technical Service Bulletins. There are some short cut links on the left hand side to the Shop, ETM and DTC sections.

To find info for your car, you have to identify you car by model, year and engine or by VIN number (which I've never used). Once the engine is designated, you simply click on that link to open the structured menu system. For example, to find information about the timing belt to your car, click on shop and then indentify the model, year and engine. You'll then see a link listed in the left window "G 2.0 DOHC". Click on this link. Drill down through the menus:

G 2.0 DOHC
=>Engine Mechanical Systems
=> Timing System
=> Timing Belt

Each option listed at this point will load a document in the right window. To be honest, I sometimes have trouble viewing these documents. There is a button in the upper right of the right hand window that has an envelope symbol. Click on this to email the document to your local account. I have found that works best.

Good luck with your timing belt project.