Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 08:47 AM
Default Help

My car started acting strange after I ran out of gas once and now it acts like it's not getting enough gas sometimes it will start a run but it sounds like it has a terrible miss and it sometimes delays when I give it gas. Any ideas of where I should start? It is a 2000 Hyundai Elantra.

Last edited by Michellebell; 07-28-2019 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to add vehicle type
Old 07-28-2019, 10:13 AM

The old fuel system had a mechanical pump pushing fuel through
The Elantra uses an electrical fuel pump which sits in the gas tank.
The gasoline is actually used as a way to cool the fuel pump
Running below 1/4 tank of gas shortens the life of the fuel pump
Running out of gas ... may have caused this present issue??

However, I am not a person who likes to just replace parts without knowing for certain
So, would check out MAP sensor, TPS, IAC, air filter, clean throttle body, etc

Old 07-28-2019, 11:25 AM
Default Help

Can I replace just the fuel pump?

Old 07-28-2019, 11:47 AM

Before replacing the fuel pump which may or may not be bad, consider removing the fuel filter and see what comes out of it. Best to have a new fuel filter to replace the old one. Suggest you get the replacement filter before removing the old one.
Because there may be pressure in the fuel line and you could get a gas bath the better thing to do is find the fuel pump fuse, start the engine and remove the fuse for the fuel pump, the engine should stall and run out of gas, also relieves the pressure in the line. Now it is safe to replace the filter. Let us know if this gets rid of the problem, if not you could be looking at a fuel pump as "a visitor" suggested.
You should be able to purchase just the fuel pump motor.without buying the entire fuel module.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:57 PM
Default Help

Thank you

Old 07-28-2019, 02:32 PM
Default Help

Is the filter in with the gas tank?

Old 07-28-2019, 04:30 PM

Yes, fuel filter and pump and fuel level sender are on the same module.
Buying a new module is expensive.
Why not do the other test first to make sure it is the fuel pump?
You could end up changing the fuel pump and still have this issue.
Also, doing the other tests and cleaning the throttle body will help the engine performance last longer

Old 07-29-2019, 06:02 AM
Default Help

I did do all the other tests and that did not help. Yes it's expensive and I hope it fixes it because I love my little car. I'm waiting for the auto part store to open now so hopefully by late this evening possibly morning I will have good news to share. Thank you bunches to everyone who offered advice, I'd been lost without y'all again thanks fingers crossed good news later 😁

Old 07-29-2019, 02:55 PM

There should be a separate in line fuel filter in addition to the one inside the tank. Make sure you have the tools necessary to remove the filter and follow the directions for relieving the pressure in the fuel line before attempting to loosen and remove the in line filter. Wear eye and hand protection, contact with today's gasoline is not only smelly , but can cause problems with anyone that may be sensitive to the additives in the gasoline.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:19 AM
Default Help

Ok I changed the pump and strainer and it did help a little but I'm still having the same problem just not as bad. Can anyone tell me step by step how to test and/ or clean my IAC, TPS, and MAP sensors I'm afraid I may have not done something right. Thanks