Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Default Help!!

I have a 99 Elantra (5 speed). One day it started sputtering at high speeds then gradually got worse. It now bogs down upon takeoff and stalls at lights, etc. It now just started reving up high after it sputters.

I'm thinking maybe a clogged fuel line that's flashing??

I already changed all the plugs and wires so I ruled that out. I doubt it's the Coil Pack. It seems to be a fuel problem. Anyone ever ran into something similar?

Can anyone please help me???

Thank you

Old 09-03-2010, 07:48 AM

I have a '98 Elantra and had a problem with the revs being all over the place, also shutting off when at a light. I took it to a autoparts store where it could be checked for errors by computer. Turns out I had a faulty TPS, Throttle Position Sensor. The sensor was $50.

I replaced it and now she runs like a top. Advanced Auto or AutoZone will check your car for free for errors. Other than perhaps trying to run some high test (premium unleaded fuel) from a name brand like Shell or Conoco station.

My only guess is perhaps last time before the issue started, you filled up at a place where the fuel was lowest and some debris from the bottom of the refilling tank was introduced to your system.

Best of luck.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

^^^ This is why you get the codes in the computer read to find out what the problem actually is instead of guessing at it. Good job Ruben.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
^^^ This is why you get the codes in the computer read to find out what the problem actually is instead of guessing at it. Good job Ruben.
I've got a 2000 Elantra and I'm having the same problem, but the only code my car is throwing is an emission code that has nothing to do with the way the car runs (I've been told this by 2 Hyundai Dealerships). I've had the fuel filter replaced, new plugs, a Mass Airflow sensor, and the air intake gasket.

Where do I look next?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, the emissions system can have an effect on way the car runs. I'd get that CEL fixed first before fixing the idling issue.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-21-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Yes, the emissions system can have an effect on way the car runs. I'd get that CEL fixed first before fixing the idling issue.
It's a bad Purge Valve Sensor Code. The Purge Valve is bad. Will a bad purge valve effect the way a car runs? Could it have anything to do with the way the car is missing in idle?