Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Help, My 2008 Elantra engine won’t turn off

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 12:06 AM
Default Help, My 2008 Elantra engine won’t turn off

I have had to change the brain box of my 2008 Hyundai Elantra and ever since, my engine would not turn off from the ignition . The dashboard and electronics would turn off but the engine keeps running. And when I managed to get the engine turned off, the car stays on. I would have to disconnect the battery to avoid it running down . My technicians are having a hard time getting to the root of the problem .Pls any thoughts on what the issue could be and how I can get this sorted out ?

Old 10-02-2019, 03:39 AM

There seems to be a lot of info missing.
What was the original problem?
Why did you change the brainbox? Exactly what is that?
Where did you get the replacement? Was it programmed after installation?
You need to tell us exactly everything you did. Without knowing EVERYTHING, we are in the same shoes as your ASSISTING technicians.
You definitely have more than one problem here , and in order to be of any help we need to know the entire story.,every step !

Old 10-02-2019, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
There seems to be a lot of info missing.
What was the original problem?
Why did you change the brainbox? Exactly what is that?
Where did you get the replacement? Was it programmed after installation?
You need to tell us exactly everything you did. Without knowing EVERYTHING, we are in the same shoes as your ASSISTING technicians.
You definitely have more than one problem here , and in order to be of any help we need to know the entire story.,every step !
had an accident with the car and it affected a couple of parts. There after the brain box went dead and the car refused to start . After changing the brain box it was also programmed but ever since, the engine keeps running after I switch off from the ignition. To turn it off I would have to take out a fuse from the the fuse box .however the car remains on except I disconnect the battery. However at random period everything goes back to normal.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:10 PM

Your vehicle has a network with a series of modules that compose the network.
If any are overlooked and not functioning correctly the network will not work correctly either.
Whoever did the accident repairs was supposed to check the vehicle for any left over problems before releasing the vehicle back to you .
If it has not been right after those repairs , you might take the vehicle back to them and see if they can finish the job.
If you can't obtain any satisfaction there, you may need to have an experienced shop check it over.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:15 PM

I would check the connector pins on the ECM or brain box (that is a very old term)
And also check the wiring .. suspect a short.
Check wiring looms near AC metal hoses or pipes and near exhaust manifold

Old 10-03-2019, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Your vehicle has a network with a series of modules that compose the network.
If any are overlooked and not functioning correctly the network will not work correctly either.
Whoever did the accident repairs was supposed to check the vehicle for any left over problems before releasing the vehicle back to you .
If it has not been right after those repairs , you might take the vehicle back to them and see if they can finish the job.
If you can't obtain any satisfaction there, you may need to have an experienced shop check it over.
Ok thank you .