General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

car starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Default car starting problem

This is probably more of a general car question than a specific-model question, but anyway here's my problem.

My brother and I just bought a 98 Tiburon today for a beater. It was $500, and the owner said he'd been having problems keeping it running. The car basically would run for 15-25 minutes then turn off. When I bought the car today, the owner started it and we kept it running. Literally as I got in it to drive off, the car turned off. It had been on for about 15 minutes. I tried starting it, but the engine would just crank - not turn over. I waited 5 minutes, tried again, and the car started - but shut off again in 3 minutes. I figured I'd go out and get it a new battery, since the battery in the car looked pretty bad and the old owner said he hadn't ever replaced it. When I came back it was dark, and I managed to put the battery in backwards and put the posi on the negative and vice versa. I realized what I did, switched them back, and went to start the car. When I got in the car, the open door chime and open door light were on, but nothing else - no CEL light on ACC position, no E-brake light, and the engine won't even crank. The dome lights work, the lights on the doors work, the brake light works when I press the brake; but thats it. Nothing else comes on on the dash, and the engine won't do anything.

When I mixed up the battery cables, they sparked, but I didn't notice the smell of anything burning.

Any suggestions? Sorry about the long post

Old 11-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Default RE: car starting problem

Any suggestions?
There are two fuse boxes on the car, one under the hood and one under the dash on the drivers side. Start pulling fuses and checking them out. The box under the hood will also have some fusible links, which look like heavy duty fuses. Some older fusible links were hard to visually check and you may need an ohmmeter to check them properly.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Default RE: car starting problem

I gave them a short look over and they seemed ok. I was searching online and someone had a similar problem with an 02 Sonata and someone told them that if they mixed up the battery or jumper cables, their main fuse is probably blown, so I'll check that out.