Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Help - Weird Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 10:28 PM
Default Help - Weird Electrical Issues

Hi Guys
My 2005 Elantra started having an problem with battery running low and I eventually found that the trunk light was suspect and staying on ..I disconnected it and the battery stays full now BUT the vehicle has no central locking, no radio, no clock and when you turn the key on, the temp guage jumps to max reading and the speedo and RPM jump to half way and then go back to normal positions in a few seconds .. I did disconnect the battery for a few seconds earlier but reconnected. Apart from this everything else seems to work and I cannot see any fuses blown under the hood or under the dash either.
I can drive the car of course but anyone got any bright ideas what has happened???
Any help would be very MUCH APPRECIATED

Old 03-26-2016, 11:46 PM

On the fuse box that is in the dash, there is a black item that is used to put the car in Transit mode so as to not drain the battery (while the car is being shipped).
It sounds like that was jarred loose or put in Transit mode.

If it is jarred loose then pull out and reinstall .. make sure it is seated properly.
If it is in the Transit mode then take it out and turn it 180 degrees clockwise and reinstall.

Good luck

Last edited by avisitor; 03-26-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:39 AM

Thanks but no success!! The transit plug is well seated and in either position no power going to the no working items ... I just wondering now if I accidentally shorted the trunk lamp when I pulled it out?? It's disconnected now but could have easily touched on the bodywork when I removed it as it was on (trunk lid was open) I cannot see a "popped" fuse link in either the engine fuse box or the dash ones ..they all look correct and intact ..I have a feeling that might have happened as everything was fine before I pulled the trunk fitting out as it was running all the time ...Anyone know which fuse link might power these components??

Old 03-27-2016, 01:15 AM

At last SUCCESS!! it was indeed the fuse but not one marked AUDIO or COURTESY but a 15A one marked "ROOMLP" ...all is good now and thanks!!

Old 03-27-2016, 11:38 PM

This just goes to show that with one symptom there are many causes.
Glad you found the right fuse.
And thanks for the update.