Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Hesitation when engine is cold....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Default Hesitation when engine is cold....

I have a 2001 Elantra GLS with 40,000 miles. I have had an ongoing problem, when you start the car when the engine is cold (not freezing...just sitting for a few hours or more), when you first hit the gas, the car hesitates and bucks and moves slowly for 5-10 seconds before kicking in and driving normally. I bought the car used from a local Hyundai dealer in 2003, and this problem has been going on for about 2 years now. About 2 years ago, I took it to the dealer to have the problem checked, and they said they could find no problem. the funny thing is that the problem stopped for a few months after, then started up again. I'm also noticing a drop in gas mileage lately. I have gotten 400 miles out of a tank in the past, and my last tank just barely got me 300 miles. Could this be a problem with the fuel pump? the fuel injectors? the transmission? Help?

I do have an appointment to take the car to the dealer on Friday, but I'm just looking to see if anyone here knows anything about this problem or if anyone here has had this problem, so I might know what I'm talking about when I try to explain this problem to the service department.

thanks!
Pat[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 11-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Default RE: Hesitation when engine is cold....

I have this same problem. it is extremely irritating. Anyone found a solution for this issue?

Old 11-01-2006, 08:09 PM

I've had the same problem before I took it in so they could look at why it was using petrol coz it was also stalling and not restarting but they didn't find anything apart from a problem between the key and the imobiliser that has stopped the car stalling. I don't know how but my petrol is now back to usual. When mine is really cold its worse in reverse and the first few hundred metres you drive other than that its ok.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:14 PM

My guess would have to be

Malfunctioning fuel system
Injectors leaking

Old 01-18-2007, 03:53 PM

Here is a post from the Tucson forum that sounds like it may be related. I have copied Epozy's post and my (anemo21) reply. Check it out. It may be common to all hyundai motor setups. I'm not that familiar with all models.

Epozy writes:
Hi, my wife noticed the other day that she was having a problem with her Tucson. After she is stopped, when she presses on the gas to drive again, the vehicle jerks and will hardly go. Once she gets it to about 15 mph, it kicks in and is fine. So, I drove it yesterday and noticed the same thing happening. Has anyone else had this problem?

Anemo21 replies:
A woman I work with just asked me about this same issue on her 2005 Tucson. I suspected a vacuum line but her husband got it to the dealer and they found a loose clamp on the air intake line. This obviously was upsetting the fuel/air ratio and in the very cold weather we were having it proved very problematic. My advice is to first check any and all clamps pertaining to air intake (she wasn't specific so I can't tell you which to look for). If you can't find a loose one I would check with the service shop. Odds are this happens a lot so they may know exactly where to look. Hope this helps.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:13 PM

HI all just to lett you know install a aftermarket K & N airfilter, it solves all and brings up the bottom end torque

Old 05-02-2007, 03:49 PM

I'm havinga similarproblem. I did a tranny swap several months agoand it recently started up. Basically when cold, there is only a hesitation in second and sometimes in third gear. As soon as the engine is warmed up, maybe 5 minutes,there is no more hesitation.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 PM

Is that pressure control valve for the auto or 5spd?

Old 05-27-2007, 03:18 PM

i would say the throttle position sensor could be a possible problem if that checks out ok have the mass air flow sensor and connector inspected it would be a good idea to check for codes but that may not help. it could be a soft code i would check with your shop and if they can't find the problem ask if they ever use a copilot to help diag drivability problems. it like a black box that records data from the ecm it may show something that is not hard enought to actually set a code.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:01 PM

The problem last year with the hesitation finally turned into the check engine coming on and the the transmission putting itself into fail safe mode. Turns out it was a sensor in the transmission. Yet, because the warranty was up (by a whopping ONE MONTH), they would not cover the repair, since they said there was no proof it was the same hesitation problem I had previously...what a bunch of con artists. I paid almost 300 bucks because the service department was too dumb to figure it out beforehand, or just didn't care to figure out the problem. So anyway, after the repair, everything seems fine until a couple of months ago and the hesitation returns intermittently. Finally, a few weeks ago, the trans was shifting hard and the check engine light was coming on. Pulling over and restarting the car gets rid of it temporarily. So I take it for a transmission fluid/filter change (not to the dealer, since I won't go there anymore now that the warranty is up). The trans shop calls me and tells me there is an excessive amount of metal shards in the trans fluid, indicating a probable serious trans problem. After thinking a little bit, I tell them not to try and figure out the problem, because I am just getting rid of the car. I'm not putting $1000+ into a car that's probably only worth 3 or 4 grand at this point (there must be a reason for Hyundai's poor resale value....I sold my 1996 Honda Accord with 125,000 miles on it for more than I can get for an 01 Elantra with 46000 miles). Plus, I just can't stand the car...its a flimsy piece of crap. I'm trading it in for whatever I can get and getting another Honda. Absolutely the last time I buy a Korean piece of dogcrap.

Quick Reply: Hesitation when engine is cold....