Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Hyundai Elantra 2019 w 37k miles rust issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 04:56 PM
Default Hyundai Elantra 2019 w 37k miles rust issues?

Original rotor off a 2019 Hyundai Elantra

Original Rotor off a 2019 Hyundai Elantra

Hi guys... My father leased a brand new Hyundai Elantra 2019 3 yrs ago with 100 miles on it. After our 3 year lease expired we decided to buy out the car via Financing monthly payments because we liked it. Two weeks ago was the first time we went to our local mechanic who has been in service for 30 yrs for a break change. When the mechanic took the wheels off the car he was blown away! He said the car's break pads weren't moving and were mounted improperly from the factory. He also said this car wont last very long due to all the rust buildup on the wheel frames. The wheel frame was completely covered in orange rust. He advised us not to drive the car for very long. I attached 2 pictures of the same original rotor that came off the Hyundai and was replaced with new ones. All 4 rotors looked identical to this one. The wheel frame that holds the wheels are completely rusted and it's only a 3 yr old car with 37,000 miles that was driven very mildly and lightly. The car is pristine outside but under the wheels it's ACK! I just emailed my Hyundai Dealer and asked them if there was a recall on the 2019's Elantras for rust issues. I'll see what they say and if I need to take it in for repair or whatnot. Please help.. This is our first NEW Car we purchased and I don't know what our options are or will be. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 09-26-2022, 06:13 PM

Anyone that buys a new vehicle should consider having it undercoated before even bringing it home especially if the vehicle will be driven on salted roads.
There are places that do that, Ziebart is one of them. Certain parts might have been zinc coated , but not all the under vehicle parts that rust and rot. We find out about how bad this can get when the brake lines rust and leak and braking can be lost.
It is not cheap, but worth the cost.

As far as the brake parts in your pictures, something is/was definitely wrong there. Pad contact with the rotor was like 50% of what it should be.Only the person that took it apart can tell you why.
When looking to purchase a used vehicle, somebody should look at the underneath and not only the part that was washed regularly. If it shows considerable rusting, buyer beware !

Old 10-01-2022, 06:52 PM

If you live in a cold weather area, that see lots of cold nights and even snow in the winter. Well that's normal... As far as the wear goes, if the pads were installed incorrectly well that can be a issue.. You also have to take into consideration, driven habbits.. If your know to brake hard, well expect poor wearing of your brakes.. Last time I did a brake job on one of my cars.. They were changed at abound 60k. Rotors looked brand new, with no sign of uneven wear of any kind. Slapped on new pads, and off she went.

Old 10-02-2022, 09:36 AM

There are some things of which we should be aware.
With normal use rotors do develop taper wear. What that means is, when we install new pads the inner part of the rotor will contact the pad first and prevent full surface contact. Rotors should be checked for wear and machined to be flat
This can be verified with a simple micrometer check.
Also, brake fluid can absorb moisture and now good practice requires some of the old fluid to be replaced with fresh brake fluid. Pushing the dirty contaminated fluid back into the system is inviting problems with the ABS components. The bleeder should be opened and old fluid expelled as the caliper piston is compressed.

There is a lot more to doing a quality "Brake Job" than just replacing a set of pads. Guide pins , stainless wear pads for pads to slide on are an important part of doing a complete job..Rust does accumulate under those old stainless pieces and if done right must be cleaned too !