Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

My 02 elantra window washing stops working

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Default My 02 elantra window washing stops working

Checked the spray nozzle and the front hose under the hood cover. The are clean, but I can not open and check those hoses under the suspension. When trying to use the washer, I heard some noise from the position under the water tank.
What problems do you guys think? fuse, pump, blockage? how to further diagnose?

Thanks.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:56 AM

You hear the pump motor activate, so that pretty much eliminates the fuse, switch and wiring as problems. If you see no fluid anywhere while pumping, then a loose or split line isn't likely the problem. If the top lines and nozzles are clear, that leaves the pump impeller or a clog in the lower line or bottom of the tank. For clogs, I have taken a high pressure washer (like at a DIY car wash) to tanks with mixed success. Insert the wand down through the neck to the bottom of the tank and then pulse the stream. Do this for several minutes as you flush the excess the out the top. Hang on tight to the wand, as you don't want to crack the tank or damage the filler neck. Like I said, I've had mixed success with this technique.

If the pump impeller is bad, that necessitates the removal and replacement of the entire pump unit, which means removal of the tank. The tank is mounted between the body and the fender liner on the passenger side. The "official" method described to get at the tank is to remove the entire front bumper cover, which is often more that a person wished to undertake. I have had some luck on cars this size by loosening the fender liner and then carefully bending the liner back to remove the tank from the back side. If you do get the tank out, every auto parts store carries universal replacement pump kits. Instructions for removing the bumper cover can be found at http://www.hmaservice.com/.

Last edited by ken99; 05-29-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: URL