Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Need Advice, doing body work myself.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Default Need Advice, doing body work myself.

I rear ended someone the other day and didn't have collision on my insurance. I've got a 99 Elantra and I'm trying to get all the bad parts off so I can see what's left. I've gotten down to the radiator support but it's apparently not a bolt on item like everything else. Does anyone know if I'll need to have it cut out and the new one welded in? Is this the part I need?

http://www2.partstrain.com/partlisting/full/hyundai/elantra/radiator_support/1999/2000.html?ptc=S1171391678W45d204bec356b&ptk=19 99+2000+Hyundai+Elantra+Radiator+Support+-+Hyundai+99+00+Radiator+Support

Here's what it looks like right now. Still runs! Of course the radiator fans aren't working as they're wedged into the exhaust manifold right now.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Default RE: Need Advice, doing body work myself.

Does anyone know if I'll need to have it cut out and the new one welded in?
Maybe yes, maybe no. I've had far worse looking structural members that a shop straightened out rather than remove and replace. Even though the damage is not insured, the first place I'd go is to a reputable (but reasonable) body shop for a free estimate. Ask around, they do exist and if they know insurance isn't paying the bill the estimate will likely be less than you expect. More important, they can tell you (particularly since you have the damage so well exposed) if the piece can be straightened or will have to be cut out. Be honest with them and tell them you might try removing and possably replacing the damaged parts yourself. I'm sure they will offer up some alternative routes and good advice for you to consider. And, if you don't like what you hear, walk away.

Is this the part I need?
It looks right, but like you, I'm guessing from the picture. If you are going to proceed with cutting the damaged support out and replacing it, I wouldn't start by buying a new replacement part. Find a good donor car in a local salvage yard for two good reasons. 1) You'll likely find a servicable part for less money and 2) you can practice your surgical skills removing the part from the donor car. If the yard insists on removing the part for you, ask them to cut it farther back than necessary so you have plenty of metal to look at and trim off after you remove the damaged piece from your car. With the part removed, you can flip it over and look at it from all angles to see where it's best to cut and match it back up to your car. Also, a used donor piece should also have all the little brackets and connectors that a new piece may not have (the radiator grommet points come to mind). Saves you time removing and replacing them onto the new piece.

If you do decide the cut the piece, spend some time prepping the car. The piece you are removing supports the radiator, but also supports other structures to keep them from flexing. Basically, it forms one end of a box around the engine compartment and you don't want the "side walls" flexing or "caving" in as it is removed. You want to stabilize the front section as best you can so hopefully nothing gets tweaked out of place by gravity when the front support is removed. You do not want the weight of the car siting on the front tires. Block it up on stands and position them close to where the lower swing arms attach to the body. I would also try to get blocks under the motor and tranny to help take their weight off the structure. Also, take some angle iron or tubing and fashion up a brace that you can bolt between the shock towers (or buy a fancy one for the car that you can leave in after the job is done). You may need to clamp a similar support between the fenders in front of the engine. Keep a good tape measure handy. As you start to tack the new piece into place, you'll need to constantly measure criss-cross between points on the front and on top to make sure the structure stays square and as true as possible.

Good luck on this project.