Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Need clutch help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 09:13 PM
Default Need clutch help!

On my 2001 GT Hatch, I have the 5 speed manual. There is about 55K miles on the car. I am a fairly experienced manual transmission driver. However, I am haviing a difficult time shifting from 1-2 and from 2-3 and from 3-4 smoothly. I just bought the car last week and the clutch is in good shape.

I have seen people write about the clutch on this car being different as well as hard to get used to. When I depress the clutch I can see the RPMs increase then drop down. If I wait until they drop then I can get a smooth shift. I have a feeling that this is a liitle out of the ordinary. This condition makes it impossible to upshift or downshift quickly without geting thrown back in my seat violently.

Is there a way to adjust the clutch so I can shift more smoothly? Is there a bigger problem that I am overlooking?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 12-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Need clutch help!

It sounds like your synchronizer is bad. Does it pop out of anygear sometimes?

Old 12-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Default RE: Need clutch help!

hey, are you aslo on elantraxd.com??? this is the same post as on over there! btw, check the fluid level, the fill plug is on the front of the tranny, its a good sized nut, just remove the fill plug, and id just squirt some more in there unless you can get your finger in the hole to see were its at. just fill her up till the fluid comes out the hole. btw its 75/90 gear oil.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 PM

I have a similar issue with my 06 Elantra with a 5 speed.

I have always dis-liked the cars high grab point on the clutch (it grabs right at the end of the pedal travel).

So I adjusted it under the dash (there is a rod from the firewall, and a loop which connects to the pedal. By loosening the 2 nuts, you can adjust the distance of the loop on the rod).

This helped a lot. But still I notice that the actual full "clutch engagement point" in these cars is still quite high on the pedal. Meaning that the clutch starts to grab normally (about 1" from the floor), but engages fully quite late (about 2" from the end of travel), making it pretty annoying when trying to speed up quick.

I've owned this car for about 5 years now, and otherwise it's ok. But this is one thing I have never had a problem on other cars I owned - Corolla's, Mazda 3's etc...