Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Default need help

I have a 2004 elantra gt and I need to clean the oil control filter but for the life of me I can't get it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:27 PM

um, what?? i've not come across an 'oil control filter'. perhaps you mean an 'oil filter'?? and thse don't get cleaned, just replaced.

df

Old 02-11-2010, 07:53 PM

I guess I should have been more specific. It is the oil control valve filter that I need to remove and clean. I am a novice when it comes to this vehicle but I have done oil changes before and I know that an oil filter gets changed not cleaned.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bmxroadie
I have a 2004 elantra gt and I need to clean the oil control filter but for the life of me I can't get it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by drivinfaster
um, what?? i've not come across an 'oil control filter'. perhaps you mean an 'oil filter'?? and thse don't get cleaned, just replaced.

df
The oil control valve controls the oil pressure that operated the cam timing on CVVT motors. There filter is for the oil control valve.

They are both located in the cylinder head:

The connector for the Oil Control valve is "A" in this picture:

The oil control valve:

The oil control valve filter:

It should just unbolt out.

Last edited by NovaResource; 12-10-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 PM

I was able to locate and remove the retaining bolt as well as the set screw under it, however the filter remained inside. Is it possible that I need to remove the oil control valve before removing the filter?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:09 PM

ooooohhh, now i get it. well, duh!! i can see this little unit being the bain of several service advisors. i've been out of wrenching for a little while, but i know that little screens clog up with crud very quickly and easily. especially since everyone always take such great care of their vehicle.

hopefully the engineers designed this thing to not deprive any vital surfaces of oil pressure should this thing become restricted. (no cam bearings on the ohc or dohc engines as i can ever recall) still, it reminds me of fords early attempts at variable cam timing in the focus and contour/mistake (i mean mystique) vehicles. the bendix style design was prone to develop sludge and create all sorts driveability issues. hopefully this design is better. however, when comparing variable cam timing like others, bmw vanos (the *best* imho), honda v-tec, there were no filters in the design and it makes me wonder if it is a good idea or not. like i said, i hope it isn't going to starve other parts of the engine for oil when it gets restricted.

df

Old 02-15-2010, 04:38 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions? I need to have this taken care of by the end of the month.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:28 PM

well, if it were me, i would see what they are at the dealer, buy one, and have one just in case it breaks upon extraction.

my experience with metal screen devices would lead me to believe these can stick very easily. you may wish to use some sort of solvent, such as penetrating oil or brakcleen, to try to loosen it, but it most likely will become damaged.

as far as an actual service interval to clean this part, i have no clue. like i stated previously, i think this could be an achilles heel in the oil system to this engine as i forsee it clogging very easily which could cause more severe issies later on.

it may run without this filter, but, i would not be comfortable in suggesting to do so. if you are not comfortable with doing this yourself, take it to a repair shop.

df

Old 02-20-2010, 06:14 PM

Well I have an update. I was able to finally get this stupid filter out of my car What a major pain it was . It doesn't just thread out when you remove the bolt I ended up having to use a small hook pick to pull it from the car.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:53 AM

Was it plugged? Could it become plugged and cause an issue? I have never heard of this filter and I have 3 generations of this car.

Quick Reply: need help