Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Newbie with a problem..........

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Default Newbie with a problem..........

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. Since I couldn't find any sources online and nothing using the forum search I'm posting for help with a flex pipe issue for my sons 2002 Elantra. It was loud so we took it to the dealer and they quoted us about $1400 for a flex pipe, catalytic converter, and tune up.

We bought our own parts and tuned it up for about $80. I found a new after market converter and manifold for $160. Can't find the flex pipe anywhere. The dealer wanted over $800 for this alone. I'm hoping a muffler shop can put a universal part on this to fix it. No way I'm paying $800 for this. I did see some kits with just the flex part and clamps but I'm ot sure what size the pipe is were this connects. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Old 01-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Banned
Default RE: Newbie with a problem..........

Did you try eBay? Looks like all different sizes for cheap. You just need to measure your pipe size. Do a search for "universal flex pipe".

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-20-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:54 PM

Yes, but I'm getting conflicting information. The dealer said I need a flex pipe for $8xx.xx and a catalytic converter for $4xx.xx. One seller on Ebay is selling the exaust manifold and cat for about $160 shipped but no flex pipe. Two other sellers I contacted have the flex pipe with a catalytic converter on it and no manifold. So now I'm totally confused.

I found the flex pipe kits on Ebay and JC Whitney, but there isn't enough room to use one of these because one of the sensors is too close to where the pipe would need to be cut.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Banned

What year Elantra?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:34 PM

Old 01-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Banned

I don't understand why you need a manifold. Also, why do you need a new catalytic converter? It's real common for the flex pipe to go bad, but not the manifold or the converter.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:07 PM

I don't need the manifold, the seller sells them together. Check it out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...T&viewitem=

The car has a check engine light. The dealer said it needed a catalytic converter, a flex pipe, and tune up. So I'm assuming the Cat is what's causing the CEL.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:18 PM

The car has a check engine light. The dealer said it needed a catalytic converter, a flex pipe, and tune up. So I'm assuming the Cat is what's causing the CEL. The car has a check engine light. The dealer said it needed a catalytic converter, a flex pipe, and tune up. So I'm assuming the Cat is what's causing the CEL.
Did the dealer share what the error code was? A leaking flex pipe can generate an error code by itself. I would start by replacing the front exhaust pipe (which includes the flex portion). A tune up never hurts, particularly if you cannot remember how long it has been.

COMPONENTS[/align]

Old 01-19-2009, 06:21 PM

A leaking flex pipe can generate an error code by itself.
I take that back on this car. There does not appear to be an O2 sensor down stream from the flex pipe. I would still find out what specific code was generated.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:24 PM

I didn't get the code because my son took it in. Its his car. There is a 30005 next to CEL on the invoice. It probably is the flex causing the CEL. You can see smoke come out of it when we start it and the sound is getting worse.

I contacted two sellers on Ebay and they both told me the flex pipe has the cat on it. Or are they mistaken?

I plan to start with the Flex pipe. I don' know why they said we need the conveter. It looks fine and we don't have state inspections here anymore.

Quick Reply: Newbie with a problem..........