Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

poor driving performance in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Default poor driving performance in the snow

my finance' has a 2007 Elantra SE and is having trouble handling the vehicle in the snow...

anyone have experience with this vehicle in the snow? any suggestions to help? good snow tire recommendation?

TIA

-Jeff

Old 12-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: poor driving performance in the snow

There's nothing wrong with the Elantra in the snow. Either the tires are bad or the driver is.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:53 PM

i agree, FWD dose awsome in the snow,

Slowing down is key to hadling in the snow

Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 PM

good snow tire recommendation?
Cooper Weathermaster ST2. I run these year round on my daily driver. Go to:

http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...ra&opt=GLS

I drive snow and ice all winter and these tires work great. These tires are pinned for studs, but studs really are not needed. Studs simply tear up the road, the car and the tires themselves.

any suggestions to help?
Put some ballast, like 100 lbs of sand bags, in the trunk of the car. FWD cars have more weight over the front axle, which is why traction is usually very good in snow. But if the back end is too light, it will have a tendency to slide while cornering or braking, swapping ends when you least expect it. This is especially true with smaller, shorter wheel base cars like the Elantra.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:14 AM

thx for the tips everyone!

the issue she was having was getting stuck in several inches of unplowed snow (which is typical in the downtown areas of Minneapolis/St. Paul after a snowfall) while turning a corner from a standstill- car apparently just didn't go

Old 12-10-2008, 05:44 PM

the issue she was having was getting stuck in several inches of unplowed snow (which is typical in the downtown areas of Minneapolis/St. Paul after a snowfall) while turning a corner from a standstill- car apparently just didn't go
The best advice I can give for days like that is "stay home".

Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 AM

I have a 2008 Elantra and am having the same issues. I have trouble breaking, the anti-lock brakes kick in immediately if there is the slightest bit of snow or slush on the ground. I also have a lot of difficulty starting from a stop. The faintest touch of the gas pedal and the car just starts fishtailing. I have lived in rochester ny my whole life and I know how to drive in the snow. Its not the driver, its the car!

Originally Posted by jman
thx for the tips everyone!

Old 12-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jkilbury
I have a 2008 Elantra and am having the same issues. I have trouble breaking, the anti-lock brakes kick in immediately if there is the slightest bit of snow or slush on the ground. I also have a lot of difficulty starting from a stop. The faintest touch of the gas pedal and the car just starts fishtailing. I have lived in rochester ny my whole life and I know how to drive in the snow. Its not the driver, its the car!
Like I said a year ago:
Originally Posted by NovaResource
There's nothing wrong with the Elantra in the snow. Either the tires are bad or the driver is.
Since you claim you know how to drive in the snow and than the problem is not the driver, the answer must be your tires. What kind of tires do you have? Summer tires? All-season? Neither are really very good in snow.

Last edited by NovaResource; 01-29-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Automerged doublepost
Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Default Hyundai in general in the snow.

My Santa Fe was terrible in the snow. The front wheels would just spin with the lightest touch of the accelerator even with snow tires. Makes me wonder if these cars are engineered to perform well in the snow. My new g5 does great with the stock tires that came with the vehicle.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rsudano
My Santa Fe was terrible in the snow. The front wheels would just spin with the lightest touch of the accelerator even with snow tires. Makes me wonder if these cars are engineered to perform well in the snow. My new g5 does great with the stock tires that came with the vehicle.
It's all about the tires. What tires are on your G5 and what tires are on the Santa Fe? I'll bet they're not the same.

Quick Reply: poor driving performance in the snow