Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

power steering squeal

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 05:09 PM
Default power steering squeal

Good evening,

New to the forum. I have an 05 Elantra GT, 5 door that is suffering from power steering squeal.

I withdrew all possible liquid from the reservoir, looked at the screen and it looked very clean. I refilled with new stuff. Upon ignition, the stuff circulated no problem, obviously most of what is in there is dirty and the new clear stuff got mixed in fast.

When I'm turning the wheel, it will squeal and when it does the pump stops for a split second. So it seems obvious the belt is turning and the pump is stopping.

When I loosen the power steering belt, the pump turns by hand with no problem, so it doesn't appear seized. I did just replace a seized alternator, and we just tightened the alternator belt with no improvement.

I don't know what the problem could be. Could it be just a bad power steering belt? I mean could the grips on a new belt fix that, but it doesn't seem right that the pump just stops, causing the squeal, when turning.

The reservoir was full prior to me draining it from the top, so it doesn't appear there is a leak anywhere. As it is, the existing belt seems plenty tight.

Any ideas? Other than this the car is working great, it was off the road for a couple years.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:57 AM

I had a belt squeal for over a year now. I tightened the generator belt and it stopped for a few weeks then came back. Repeated that and it came back in a few weeks.

Solved: CRC Belt Dressing from Advance Auto for under $4 by ordering online for local pickup with the popup discount code. Granted, this was only a few days ago, but it worked without tightening the belt again which I don't want to over-tension anyway.

Now that I see the way to tighten the power steering belt, if I get belt squeal again I will check to see which belt is slipping and if necessary tighten the ps belt for the first time.

I am very pleased with the belt dressing results. Also it diminished the "normal" belt noise to silent from a mild chirping. I should have checked from the beginning as to which belt was squealing but.... Anyway, right now it is OK and my running noise is without the faint belt chirping.