Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 02:02 PM
cat
Default starting issue

hello im new to this forum. i havea friend that im helping out. she has a 98 elantra that just started having problems starting. when we try to start it it turns over but does not start. the battery is brand new and is fully charged. im not familar with this type of car. i think that it could be the starter kinda reminds me of that from other cars.

was hoping to get some advice from you guys on here as to where i could start. i know that it could be a number of things from the ignition switch the fuel pump a fuse a bad wire or the starter.

thanks for the help if yall are able to help.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Default RE: starting issue

if the engine is turning, it probably isn't the starter since the starter is what turns the engine when started,,,if the engine turns and then suddenly winds, that is usually what a starter would do when its going bad. If its not getting spark, which is what it sounds like, check the fuses under the hood. I had one blow in my car and everything worked fine but the engine just wouldn't get spark. If its not that, a bad coil could cause it.
Is the car an auto or manual? If its a manual, this may sound stupid, but try getting the car started by pushing it and popping the clutch, if its starts, it is probably the starter, if not,,then its an electrical issue. be careful though.