Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Timing belt durability

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Default Timing belt durability

My ex hasan 04 Elantra GT with only 11,500 miles on. I've been doing the routine maintenance on it for her, cabin air filters, engine air filter's, fluids, etc.

Checking the owners manual it says the timing belt needs to be replaced at 60k, which seems early (Subaru is 105k btw) , or at 48 months, whichever comes first.

I called Hyundai and they confirmed that even with only 11.500, it still needs to be done to maintain the warranty. Seems like one of the biggest bending over's I've seenfrom a manufacturer lately, but okay, it is what it is.

I do have two questions for those folks more knowledgable than myself about Hyundai's (I'm a Subaru owner myself). First, just how likely is the belt to fail anytime soon? Second, is the Elantra's 2.0L engine an interference or non interference engine. If its non interference, I'm going to wait another year or two as a snapped belt is an annoyance, but not a mechanical nightmare.

But, if its an interference engine, is $500 about the right price? I looked on line at the service manual and it doesn't seem that bad, at least compared to a Subaru which is a) an interference engine and b) a nasty belt to change since their boxer design has two cyl heads.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Default RE: Timing belt durability

Second, is the Elantra's 2.0L engine an interference or non interference engine.
Your second question is the easiest to answer. Yes, all Hyundai engines are the interference type. Breakage of the timing belt with the engine running is catastophic for the valve train and usually other parts too. $500 sounds a bit high, but ask for details of the work. Some dealers also routinely replace the water pump during this service since it has to be removed to get at the timing belt. Some folks think this is a good idea, others (including me) think replacing an otherwise good water pump isn't necessary with the first timing belt change (which would normally be at 60K). A well seviced engine with only 11,500 miles shouldn't need a new water pump at all unless outward signs indicate developing problems. Anyway, ask what is being done so you make an informed decision.

First, just how likely is the belt to fail anytime soon?
I'm not sure anyone can answer this question with certainty, other than it must be serviced to satisfy the warrenty. It sounds like the car has been well maintained and with only 11,500 on the odometer, you would think the belt has hardly been broken in. But the belts are made of rubber, a compound that does degrade over time. Unless the car has been driven or stored under extreme conditions, I think there is little chance the belt will break any time soon.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Can the belt last longer? Probably.

Is it worth the risk? No.

Bottom line, change it at 60K.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:29 PM

Checking the owners manual it says the timing belt needs to be replaced at 60k, which seems early (Subaru is 105k btw) , or at 48 months, whichever comes first.
I was wrong. Someone does have the definiative answer for you.

Bottom line, change it at 60K.
If your ex-wife's driving habits remain the same, you don't need to worry about changing the timing belt until say...late 2024 or early 2025. Personally, I wouldn't wait that long.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

I guess I missed the fact that it only has 11K miles on it. That's different. While low mileage is good, too low miles is actually bad. 11K in 4 years is very low and when a car sits that much, it's almost as bad as high mileage. Yes, I would change it especially when the manual calls for it at 60K or 48 months.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the responses. She's going to get it done next month (already scheduled an appointment).

Looking at the external belts, I'd guess its going to be in good shape, as they still look brand new. FWIW, 2004 Elantra GT California cars can go 10yrs / 100k miles before their first belt. Love to know if its the same part number.

I also shopped prices at some other dealers - $550 is the going rate, so her dealer quote of $500 is decent. I'd do it myself as from reading the manual its a whole lot easier than my Subaru's, but since the idea is to keep the factory warranty in force, I can only imagine what they'd say if I did it.

Now they're raking her over the coals for not getting the oil changed every 3 months, which in her case would be about once every thousand. As it is, she does get it changed 2x a year which is only 1500 miles per change. When she does drive it, she does travel long enough to get everything up to temp. I'm going to drain the oil today and send a sample off to blackstone Labs for a UOA.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:46 PM

My sis 2001 elantra went 165403 for almost six years without changing any belt or breaks, i couldnt believe it, but i had to change it, the belt condition wasnt that bad.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

It's like playing the lottery. But if it breaks after 60,000 miles or 4 years, you're playing with your own money, not the house's.