Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

WARNING! 2002 Elantra control arm rust/bust

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Default Broken arm control

Hi

I just got the arm control was broken. It;'s a 2002 Elantra. I was very lucky since it broke in the city and not in the Highway! I just went for a 10 hour round trip for thanks giving. Don't want to think what would happened it it was broken then. I'm contacting Hyundai and try to get it repaired. My question for you is if you get a refund for towing your cars? I'd have to get this service 2 . Also if the recall has a expiration since it is already 10 years old car. I'm spreading the word to a friend who owns also the same car!

Old 12-09-2011, 05:48 AM

They will not reimburse you for the towing, at least they wouldn't do it for us. But they did do all the repairs at no cost to us. Good luck.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by samborejo
Hi

I just got the arm control was broken. It;'s a 2002 Elantra. I was very lucky since it broke in the city and not in the Highway! I just went for a 10 hour round trip for thanks giving. Don't want to think what would happened it it was broken then. I'm contacting Hyundai and try to get it repaired. My question for you is if you get a refund for towing your cars? I'd have to get this service 2 . Also if the recall has a expiration since it is already 10 years old car. I'm spreading the word to a friend who owns also the same car!
Hi. They did not pay for my towing either. I did not pay anything for repairs.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:52 AM

They also replaced our tire that was damaged. They also did the body work that was damaged from the arm control breaking. Basically, we got a bill showing everything they did, but the balance due was zero.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Default control arm rust

Hello everyone, I am a first time poster and am I ever glad I found this site. I live in Mississauga Ontario Canada.
My 2003 Hyundai Elantra rusted right through the lower right hand side control arm. I had taken it in in 2009 for the recall for this and they did the cheap repair. This time they replaced both left & right control arms Free of charge. They tried to get me on the Balancing but they did that free as well.
My 2002 Hyundai Elentra is still rust free in that area so the cheap fix in 2009 must have worked or they may have changed them back then, I don't remember.
So here we are in April 2012 and Hyundai is still honoring the recall so don't be afraid to take it back to the dealer even if you think it might be too late. I didn't even have to ask them to do it , they actually refused to let me drive my car after they saw it. They gave me a loaner and I was on my way.
I think my next new car will also be a Hyundai.
Rick

Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Default Elantra Control arm rusted

There was a recall in 2009 for certain vehicles located in the "salt belt". My 2003 Elantra was one of them. The recall was #091 and concerned the front lower control arms. The recall was supposed to either replace them or rust proof them if no significant corrosion was present. Mine were not replaced so I assumed I received the rust proofing.
My passenger side control arm rusted through today just like the recall said it would. Anyone else have this happen AFTER the recall was taken care of? Should Hyundai have any responsibility for this at this point? This was a very dangerous situation.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

It should still be covered. Take it back to a dealer.