Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Aftermarket drop-in air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Default Aftermarket drop-in air filter?

Anyone know if there is an aftermarket drop-in air filter available to replace the oem one?
Or is there a cold air intake kit made for the Elantra 2.0? I'm not looking to custom an intake as is shown in the 'I30 Petrol Air Intake' thread.
By aftermarket drop-in I mean higher flow, such as K&N.

Last edited by Fastmover; 06-29-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Define aftermarket drop-in
Old 06-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Banned

Your local auto parts store should have a suitable replacement for cheap.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Old 06-29-2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Hmmm, the Amazon site says it doesn't fit an Elantra. Edit: Ok - the last time I checked the K&N site they didn't have one for a 2009 Elantra. However now they do! So thanks I found the drop-in.

New question: Do you think you'd get some better breathing and hopefully 2 or 3 more HP and a touch more torque using the K&N drop-in?

Last edited by Fastmover; 06-29-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Fit for 2009 and performance question
Old 06-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

A slight improvement but probably not so much that you would notice.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:19 AM

I could not spend $140 aud + (courier/postage) to get a couple of kw of power at the fly wheel. How much do the cost in the usa?

Last edited by sr owna; 07-02-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

$46.48 US dollars and free shipping.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:37 PM

Drop in filters like K&N usually works fine but requires maintenance as you need to clean and oil them every 10k or 6 months. I had a bad experience in the past with theses as the oil from the filter got aspirated and stuck on the throttle body butterfly. After a year of use my idle was awful and the car difficult to start. I had to give a lot of gas to keep the engine alive. The throttle body had a sticky film all over it. I can only relate that to the filter oil K&N recommended to use. I cleaned everything and put a OEM air filter. Never happened again! To make it short you better stick with standard filter.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EricS
Drop in filters like K&N usually works fine but requires maintenance as you need to clean and oil them every 10k or 6 months.
10K and 6 months?!? LOL! I clean mine every 20K miles and even that is too often:
http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#4
4. How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.
Originally Posted by EricS
I had a bad experience in the past with theses as the oil from the filter got aspirated and stuck on the throttle body butterfly. After a year of use my idle was awful and the car difficult to start. I had to give a lot of gas to keep the engine alive. The throttle body had a sticky film all over it. I can only relate that to the filter oil K&N recommended to use. I cleaned everything and put a OEM air filter. Never happened again! To make it short you better stick with standard filter.
That's usually an owner-caused problem. Just don't over oil the filter and you won't have any problems. I've had K&N filters on my Tiburon and Tucson for years and a combined 60K miles. Zero problems.

http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#27
27. Will a K&N filter cause my vehicle's mass air sensor to fail?

No, it is both impossible and ridiculous.

It is impossible because we know that the oil treatment on our cotton is very small (usually less than 2 ounces). Once the oil is properly and evenly absorbed through the cotton, no oil will come off, even under extreme engine conditions. It is ridiculous, because no dealership or service provider has ever been able to provide us with evidence to support this "myth," and in fact, our investigations have revealed that even authorized dealerships are simply speculating and do not have the test equipment necessary to know whether the sensor has failed or why. It is even more ridiculous because some car manufacturers use and sell air filters treated with oil on a regular basis. There are also major brands of disposable air filters that are treated with oil. We all use oil for the same reason, it helps in the filtration efficiency of an air filter. For more information on this topic including videos, see our Mass Air Flow Sensor Statement page.

Out of the millions of air filters we sell, we only receive a handful of consumer complaints each month that a dealership or service provider has blamed a vehicle sensor repair on our product. We take each complaint very seriously and see it as an opportunity to stop a consumer from being taken advantage of. We investigate the situation thoroughly and take full responsibility for resolving the issue. For more information on how we educate and persuade the service provider to reconsider their position, see Mass Air Flow Sensor Information & Testing. We are so confident in our ability to resolve these situations and to help a consumer fight back that we offer our Consumer Protection Pledge.

As a result of our standing up for consumer rights and providing assistance to resolve a disagreement, we have had over 100 actual sensors sent to us by dealerships who claimed our product had caused them to fail. Microscopic, electronic and chemical testing revealed that none of the sensors were contaminated by K&N oil (K&N Detailed MAF Sensor Test Results). What is perhaps the single biggest clue to what is going on is that over 50% of these sensors were not broken in the first place for any reason. Click here for more information on how this may happen.
http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#28
28. Can a K&N product cause my Check Engine Light or Service Light to come on?

A properly installed K&N product should not cause the Service Light to illuminate. For more information see our Engine Service Lights and K&N Products page.
http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#17
17. How much oil should I use to re-oil my filter after it is cleaned?

The best way to ensure proper oiling is to use our squeeze bottle recharger kit (Part No. 99-5050). With a squeeze bottle, you simply run a bead along the top of each pleat on both sides of the filter. If using an aerosol recharger kit (Part No. 99-5000), make one light pass over the entire filter area front and back. The oil will then be evenly absorbed throughout the rest of the cotton medium over the next several minutes. We recommend you let your filter set for 1 hour to let any excess oil run off the filter. In any event, you do not need to worry about over oiling your filter and you should make sure the oil appears fully absorbed before re-installation. If you want exact oiling requirements, enter the part number in the "Search by Part" box on our Application Search Page and the factory oil amount will be shown.
How to clean and re-oil:
http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

Last edited by NovaResource; 07-14-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:57 AM

I have also seen throtle body and airway cleaner by K&N and other brands, also meant to "clean" that area and improve/increase performance and is meant to be done everytime you change air filters.. Personally i still think its all a load of bs, and unless you have intake, extractors, high flow cat, 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust and chip you won't know any difference except noise.. But probably a solution to oil/dust and muck getting caught in areas that it shouldn't? I don't understand tho how the cleaner works? ( I don't believe the 15 year old selling me the stuff) The perfect way to **** our new car!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket drop-in air filter?