Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Alignment check for 2010 Elantra Touring - pulls to the right

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by blh7068
Chris,

You mentioned paying for an alignment. Did you take it to the dealer? My dealer cant resolve my 09's pull to the right and was contemplating just paying the 50 bucks or whatever to see if I get a different result.
I did take it to the dealer. Again, much much better but I am trying to decide if its perfect or if its the roads around here.

I would take it to another shop if you can afford the $50. Would have cost $80cdn at another local shop for me to do it.

The site I mentioned above had a TSB that mentioned adjusting the steering whenever the alignment is done...maybe take that or something similar to the shop in case they are not familiar with this model (if my Hyundai dealer had an issue doing this then maybe the local shop would have also?)

Old 08-26-2010, 11:26 AM

So, after alignment check to the dealer, there was still a slight pull to the right. I've told them to check the steering wheel and told them to set the "neutral point" related to the new alignment.

Now? It goes straight! No pull to the right. The steering is quite sensitive though and it takes some time to get accustomed to.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Balinus
So, after alignment check to the dealer, there was still a slight pull to the right. I've told them to check the steering wheel and told them to set the "neutral point" related to the new alignment.

Now? It goes straight! No pull to the right. The steering is quite sensitive though and it takes some time to get accustomed to.
I noticed exactly the same thing. I am wondering if I am just used to the car pulling, or is the electronic steering now calibrated totally different from when I bought the car.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:35 PM

What is the "neutral point"?

Is that the "notch" the steering wheel settles into? If it is, mine is offset to the right just a little bit.

Hmmm....

Old 08-28-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by blh7068
What is the "neutral point"?

Is that the "notch" the steering wheel settles into? If it is, mine is offset to the right just a little bit.

Hmmm....
Well, I think it is that. When you take off your hands from the wheel, my steering was also offsetting a little bit to the right. Now it doesn't. I can now drive without my hands for a "long" distance without realigning the car into the driving lane. It drives much nicer.

Discuss with the mechanic about the steering wheel, because the service rep at the counter didn't understood what I was talking about.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:28 PM

Still having problems with it.. Filed a complaint with National highway Traffic safety assoc.. They are looking into a similar problem with the Sonata as enough people complained.

So fill this out it is free
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Old 09-01-2010, 02:46 PM

I found this tech bull. #10-ss-008 - june 2010. This for a 2011 Sonanta but since they mention electronic steering...

DESCRIPTION:
This bulletin provides the 2011 model year Sonata alignment specifications.
IMPORTANT: Before performing an alignment, check to ensure all tires are set to
the specified pressure.
IMPORTANT: Ensure the vehicle is carrying a typical load (not heavily loaded,
which will alter alignment once the load is removed or changed).
IMPORTANT: Sonata vehicles are equipped with electric power steering (MDPS).
It is required to perform an absolute steering position (ASP)
calibration using GDS after the alignment is completed.

This may be what Ballinus what refering to.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Did some more digging and found this TSB. # 09-SS-003 August 2009

DESCRIPTION:
This bulletin provides the Absolute Steering Position (ASP) calibration method for
2007-2009 ELANTRA (HD) and 2009 ELANTRA TOURING (FD) Electric Power
Steering (EPS or Motor-Driven Power Steering).
This procedure is required when
the battery is discharged or after the battery or EPS-related parts are replaced.
NOTE: If the EPS ASP calibration is not conducted when the battery is
discharged or after the battery or EPS-related parts are replaced, the EPS
and or Electronic Stability Control (ESC) warning lamp will be turned on
and the automatic EPS return-to-center control will not be performed.
VEHICLES AFFECTED:

Model: 2007-2010 ELANTRA (HD), 2009-2010 ELANTRA TOURING (FD)

SERVICE PROCEDURE:
NOTE: There are two methods to perform the ASP calibration:
• Calibration using GDS Scan Tool (recommended)
• Manual calibration without a scan tool

Last edited by keithnc; 09-01-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:15 PM

Dear All,
My Touring was alos pulling to the right. After a few days of driving to determine that is was not just sensitive to road camber etc I took it to the dealer.
I was told when I first walked in that this is "'drift right' and designed in to the car to keep you from running into oncoming traffic in case you fell asleep. I informed the service writer that there was no such thing and Hyundai would be legally liable for drifting you into the ditch if that was true and the best drift is no drift at all and your car should go straight down the road. That is when I asked to see the service manager and had him drive the car. His words were " I see what you mean". I scheduled the service and I have his voice mail still on my phone telling me that they had to align BOTH the front and the rear as they were both out. It has been fixed for a few weeks now and it goes very nicely straight down the road. What we need is for the service people to listen to the customers and do a test drive instead of telling them what the problem is without even driving it.

So if you are having trouble after an alignment make sure that they check both the front and the rear. Besides the horrible seats with no lumbar support and no height adjust I now love the car. Handles very nicely goes and stops very well.

WISPR

Old 09-02-2010, 08:42 AM

I have driven 3 ET's: 2 GLS's with 15" wheels (loaners) and my own SE with 17" wheels. None of the three have had the issue of pulling to the right.

Perhaps I missed it in the threads, but are any of the cars with this uncorrectable tracking problem having unusual tire wear?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Alignment check for 2010 Elantra Touring - pulls to the right