Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Cabin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Default Cabin Air Filter

I wanted to change out the cabin filter even though our ET has only 3K miles. The previous owner was a smoker...in spite of the salesman's statement to the contrary...and we have cleaned, sprayed and even ran an ozone generator inside the car. It is MUCH better, but the cabin filter was full of pollen and had a smoke smell. So...after calling the dealer and finding out they are about 20 bucks , I did some internet searching and found out that Purolater makes a "Breathe Easy" filter for the ET. The part number listed on several sites is C35660. JCW had the best price...and a rabate for 5 bucks off EACH filter (I ordered 2). So...16.99 minus the 5 equals 11.99...free shipping...no tax...sounded good! They came in today and I was eager to install one (after a spritz or two with FeBreze). When I began to install it (under the glove box...easy to do)...I realized it was about 1/2" too long . I trimmed it down and it seems OK now. I was wondering if any forum member has had similar results? Does anyone know of a replacement (aftermarket) that fits better? They should be changed at least once a year for better HVAC operation. If your A/C is not as strong as once was...check out the filter!

Thanks in advance!

ETMike

Old 08-04-2010, 10:12 PM

One quick note: The filter I ordered did not say (on the box) specifically what it would fit. It must be for the Elantra sedan. I saw that on the AdvanceAuto site that it did say that it would fit the ET...so I ASSumed it would be fine for the ET. Wrong! Purolator site gives that number for the sedan. If you want it to fit for sure with no hassle, pay the 20 and get it from the dealer.Or...maybe someone knows of a filter that is the same size as the OEM ET filter?
ETMike

Old 08-05-2010, 04:11 AM
Default Make your own

I have not looked at the ET filter yet. Nonetheless, on all my other cars, I cut up furnace filters and place them in there. It costs pennies on the dollar and does the job. I would never buy a cabin filter from a box for a car; they are a rip off and do nothing more than a furnace filter, and with my way, I can change mine out a lot more often without worrying about the cost.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Default I Will Try It!

Thanks for the tip! I was wondering myself if that might work. A 20X20 pleated paper filter at 5.99 will make about 4 filters (minimum). That comes to about 1.50 each! I will save my old grungy OEM original to use as a pattern. A masking tape border might help the filter retain it's shape and stay in place (don't want it sucked/blown into the bottom of the duct ).

Thanks again for the tip. Now that I know it has "been done" I feel better about trying it...when these 2 are gone.

ETMIke

Old 08-05-2010, 04:00 PM

that's the idea. I have been doing this for many, many years and have never had one sucked down through the duct system. Enjoy the savings. Now your only decision is which MIRV rating to chose from!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:28 PM

Great job here!
it will be a while before I need to change mine with only 700 miles on her!!
this is a good place to find good info.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:18 AM

The better filters have carbon impregnated into the fibers. You will not get this if you make your own.
Also, if they are not changed they will get a mildew smell.
It would not hurt to vacuum yours.
As for getting the filter out it takes a few minutes and is easy.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by ETMike
Thanks for the tip! I was wondering myself if that might work. A 20X20 pleated paper filter at 5.99 will make about 4 filters (minimum). That comes to about 1.50 each! I will save my old grungy OEM original to use as a pattern. A masking tape border might help the filter retain it's shape and stay in place (don't want it sucked/blown into the bottom of the duct ).

Thanks again for the tip. Now that I know it has "been done" I feel better about trying it...when these 2 are gone.

ETMIke
Mike, From reading your message you got the Elantra filter. As, for the price I would get the correct one.
If dust and dirt gets on your evaporator coil you will have big problems.