Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

exhaust rattle, A/C annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Banned
Default exhaust rattle, A/C annoyance

I have a 2010 Touring. It's 10 months old. Overall I like the car quite a bit. It recently developed an exhaust rattle that occurs when the car is accelerating. It's loudest between 35 mph and 40 mph. Anyone else have this problem? This is the only problem I've had so far. I'll be bringing it to the dealer...

A/C annoyance: this is the way the car is designed and I hope Hyundai will change it. If I turn the defrost on, the A/C comes on automatically. I'm ok with that so far. However, if I press the A/C button to turn the A/C off, the indicator light goes off, but the A/C still runs! There is no way to shut it off. There are only certain weather conditions that require the A/C to be on when the defroster is on. It does this whether it's full defrost, or the defrost/floor vent split setting. I hate it when cars try to do too much of my thinking for me. Hyundai, please change this. If someone wants the A/C off when the defroster is on, it should actually go OFF when you turn it off!

Old 10-30-2010, 11:28 AM
tub

a/c are on for remove humidity in air when you use defrost is totaly normal

Old 10-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ascoli
A/C annoyance: this is the way the car is designed and I hope Hyundai will change it. If I turn the defrost on, the A/C comes on automatically. I'm ok with that so far. However, if I press the A/C button to turn the A/C off, the indicator light goes off, but the A/C still runs! There is no way to shut it off. There are only certain weather conditions that require the A/C to be on when the defroster is on. It does this whether it's full defrost, or the defrost/floor vent split setting. I hate it when cars try to do too much of my thinking for me. Hyundai, please change this. If someone wants the A/C off when the defroster is on, it should actually go OFF when you turn it off!
Just about all cars are designed that way. Like what was said above, the A/C removes humidity and clears the windshield faster. You want A/C on with the defrost. There is NEVER a time you don't want the A/C on with the defrost. The car is thinking for you because it knows more than you when it comes to this topic.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Just about all cars are designed that way. Like what was said above, the A/C removes humidity and clears the windshield faster. You want A/C on with the defrost. There is NEVER a time you don't want the A/C on with the defrost.

I didn't bring this up because I thought it was abnormal. I brought it up because, as I said, it's an annoyance. I'm fully aware of what the A/C does with the defrost. I only brought it up because I think there should be a design change. And, no, you don't need the A/C on whenever the defrost is on. I drove a car for 12 years that had no A/C at all. It's only necessary in certain weather conditions.

The car is thinking for you because it knows more than you when it comes to this topic.
This was totally unnecessary. Adult behavior please.

Last edited by ascoli; 10-31-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't bring this up because I thought it was abnormal. I brought it up because, as I said, it's an annoyance. I'm fully aware of what the A/C does with the defrost. I only brought it up because I think there should be a design change. And, no, you don't need the A/C on whenever the defrost is on. I drove a car for 12 years that had no A/C at all. It's only necessary in certain weather conditions.
Sure you can do without A/C but the defrost/defog works better with A/C. There is no reason not to use the A/C to clear the windshield faster. Again, the Hyundai designers know what they are doing. It's not an annoyance, it's a safety feature.

Last edited by NovaResource; 11-02-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:42 AM

The rattle you discribed sounds like the resonator tube. I had the same rattle and I have heard of other people with the same problem.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Sure you can do without A/C but the defrost/defog works better with A/C. There is no reason not to use the A/C to clear the windshield faster. Again, the Hyundai designers know what they are doing. It's not an annoyance, it's a safety feature.
As I said, I drove a car for 12 years (and another one for 5 years before that) with no A/C. 80% of the time it defrosted just fine. A/C wouldn't have made that 80% any better. Besides, why difference does it make to you if the switch works by choice? You can leave yours on all the time, and I can turn it on only when I want. It affects your life not at all.

Last edited by NovaResource; 11-02-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

As I said, I drove a car for 12 years (and another one for 5 years before that) with no A/C. 80% of the time it defrosted just fine. A/C wouldn't have made that 80% any better.

And with A/C it would have defrosted 100% of the time even better than without.

Besides, why difference does it make to you if the switch works by choice? You can leave yours on all the time, and I can turn it on only when I want. It affects your life not at all.

Why would you purposely want to defrost SLOWER without A/C? What reason do you have against having the A/C run and making the defrost work better? Running the A/C keeps the compressor lubed year round and costs you very little in fuel economy. The little amount of time it runs in the winter does not affect fuel economy.