Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

To Debadge or not Debage

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by hyundaivirgin
I love my Touring. That said, I hate the Elantra name. It's a fiction, and a bad one at that, as it serves no purpose other than to diminish the value of the Touring. I have to explain to others that it is not the sedan and not related to the sedan.

On top of that, the Elantra badge is ugly, a piece of black plastic with tiny lettering. It looks like those throw-away embossed plastic segments that came in the plastic model kits of my childhood. It doesn't match the rest of the car, and can't be read unless you're up close anyway. It seems even Hyundai was too embarrassed to put a full-size Elantra badge on it.

So last week I removed the Elantra badge, and the back end looks much better now. If you look closely, you might notice the word Touring on the right is a little lower than Hyundai on the left, which was done to allow the Elantra to go above without looking imbalanced. With the Elantra gone, there is no reason for Touring to be lower, but this is only noticeable if you are looking for it. Regardless, I am considering another modification that will fix this. Will let you all know when it happens.
Well, like you said "Elantra" is a fiction, so I went ahead this past week and completely rectified the issue. A Korean vendor on eBay is selling the i30cw badges now, so I bit the bullet and got one.

When I got my tires rotated and balanced this week, I told the tech I drive a Hyundai i30cw.

For your viewing enjoyment, I also included a pic of my engine bay. First pictures since I've installed my header and finished off my intake set up. Enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails To Debadge or not Debage-img_1409%5B1%5D.jpg   To Debadge or not Debage-img_1408.jpg  

Last edited by zielritter; 06-18-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:37 PM

You beat me to it! I ordered the same thing. Haven't gotten mine yet.

It would be great to start a silent revolution of replacing Elantra with i30 and let Hyundai know they messed up on this one.

In my case I am debating whether to replace "Hyundai" or "Touring" with i30cw. I noticed that the current trend with all the other major car brands is to not spell out the brand. That is BMW, Benz, VW/Audi, Honda, Toyota, Nissan all use just the badge, they don't spell out the names. Thus I am thinking of removing "Hyundai", and I am also thinking that the i30cw size and style will match better with Touring than with Hyundai. The only thing that gives me pause is I wonder if the trend will reverse and in the future I will prefer to have the word Hyundai back.

Maybe you all can take a look at the following images and try to imagine the i30cw replacing Hyundai and tell me what you think.

Last edited by hyundaivirgin; 06-18-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by hyundaivirgin
You beat me to it! I ordered the same thing. Haven't gotten mine yet.

It would be great to start a silent revolution of replacing Elantra with i30 and let Hyundai know they messed up on this one.

In my case I am debating whether to replace "Hyundai" or "Touring" with i30cw. I noticed that the current trend with all the other major car brands is to not spell out the brand. That is BMW, Benz, Honda, Toyota, Nissan all use just the badge, they don't spell out the names. Thus I am thinking of removing "Hyundai", and I am also thinking that the i30cw size and style will match better with Touring than with Hyundai. The only thing that gives me pause is I wonder if the trend will reverse and in the future I will prefer to have the word Hyundai back.

Maybe you all can take a look at the following images and try to imagine the i30cw replacing Hyundai and tell me what you think.
I think you'll look fine putting it where the Hyundai is if you go that route. I know Audi puts the model name on the left on the A3, and I love that car's look from the rear.

If you notice on my picture my i30cw is placed a little too far to the right. That's because I had i30 there originally, and was too lazy to remove it and move it to the left a bit. No one notices though....

Old 06-18-2010, 07:43 PM

Well I could not stand the suspense so made a mockup. I think I do like it this way the best and will probably go forward with it.

It will be my "i30cw Touring"

Ironically Infiniti had an i30 Touring, now discontinued.

Last edited by hyundaivirgin; 06-19-2010 at 01:28 AM.