Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Dim low beams

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 06:09 PM
Default Dim low beams

Hi all. New to the forum. I bought a 2011 Elantra Touring new and it currently has a little over 80K miles on it. The reason why I'm here is that my wife just got home from the store and told me the headlights were barely working. I went out to check and sure enough, the low beams barely light up the door of the garage. The high beams and all other lights seem to be working fine. I would think that if the bulbs had an issue they would burn out entirely, also why would both have the same problem. Seems like an electrical issue to both headlights. Anyone here ever experience anything like this?

Old 12-04-2021, 03:36 PM
Default Low beams full glow. Same problem.

Originally Posted by pkschul
Hi all. New to the forum. I bought a 2011 Elantra Touring new and it currently has a little over 80K miles on it. The reason why I'm here is that my wife just got home from the store and told me the headlights were barely working. I went out to check and sure enough, the low beams barely light up the door of the garage. The high beams and all other lights seem to be working fine. I would think that if the bulbs had an issue they would burn out entirely, also why would both have the same problem. Seems like an electrical issue to both headlights. Anyone here ever experience anything like this?
Does anybody know how to fix this problem

Old 12-04-2021, 06:23 PM

Can't tell how to fix the problem until we know what is causing it and where..

Since power comes from the headlight switch goes thru the dimmer switch then down to both low beam wires at the headlamps, the poor connection could be anywhere in between.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Since power comes from the headlight switch goes thru the dimmer switch then down to both low beam wires at the headlamps, the poor connection could be anywhere in between.
No, that's not correct. Power for low and high beams are supplied by separate relays located in the "engine room junction box" (left side), as indicated by the Head Lamps schematic diagram. Since both lamps use the same ground and the high beam bulbs appear to be the proper intensity, it's unlikely to be related to a bad ground connection on both sides.

I would try swapping the low & high beam headlamp relays first to see if this is caused by a faulty relay:

Part number for this relay is 95224-2D000 (up to 6 of these installed, depending on equipment). --g

Last edited by DrGEROH; 12-06-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:14 AM

Thank you for explaining the set up.
The only way the relay could defective would be if the contacts to the headlamps was corroded. Because the lamps are functioning, but are apparently getting insufficient power to operate at full power we know the relay is working. What we need to do is see where the poor connection is between the relay and the low beam lamps. That power must go through the dimmer switch.
Can you supply a wiring diagram so the path can be seen and followed to decide where we would look for the voltage drop, thanks.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:41 AM

Power to the headlight lamps is supplied by separate low & high beam relays, and, in the case of low beams, separate left & right 10A fuses in the ERJB:

The steering column multi-function switches (lights, high beam/flash) send signals to the body control module (BCM) terminals 6 & 22. BCM terminal 33 output triggers the low beam relay (and powers the high beam/flash switch), which supplies 12V to both left and right low beam lamps; this is where voltage drop could occur. When the high beam/flash is engaged, signal power is sent to BCM terminal 22 and the high beam relay trigger. Thus, the multi-function switches do not supply power to either low or high beam lamps directly. --g

Old 12-06-2021, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the diagram.
What we need to verify is,
Are we getting 12 volts at pin 17 of the junction box.? What we get there will determine where we go .
We could also start at any low beam headlamp and see what voltage we are getting there .
There should be a voltage drop from the headlamp as compared to pin 17. How would you suggest we check for the loss of power to the lamps.?

Old 12-06-2021, 04:30 PM

Rule out a faulty/failing low beam relay first -- that's easy. If the relay checks out OK, continue by measuring supply voltage at various points: terminal 3 of the the headlight connector, the 10A low beam fuses in the ERJB, and the relay terminals. --g

Old 12-07-2021, 09:49 AM

Now we get to the good stuff.
Do either John or pk have or have access to a multimeter and have some idea how to use it?
There is no sense printing out a whole list of instructions only to have the person take the vehicle to a shop because they can't do the checks.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:41 AM

Alas, typical behavior from many people on these automotive forums (I follow several in the Volkswagen-Audi world, too): join to post a question about a fixing a problem, then rarely follow-up with a diagnosis or a solution for their original "problem". Poor forum etiquette, IMO. Maybe @Johnpars will show up here again and offer some follow-up on this; it's only been a few days since the original post... --g

Quick Reply: Dim low beams