Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Elantra Touring/Manual Trany

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Default Maybe it's the torque?

I know it's only 8 lb-ft more, but still

Old 09-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

It's not the weight of the auto it's the parasitic loss of power the automatic uses to run the trans. A manual uses less engine hp than an automatic.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:16 AM

No i am not,, I didn't say My Viper has better acceleration then My neon, If there is different HP in auto to standard, well then golly gee, they should tell a person. They are rated the same, They should be the same. Maybe If i had more time, I could also get a PHD in Google. and tear apart everything eveyone else types. And last time i checked, this is a Hyundia fourm, so if i wanna tear apart GM crap, i will.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jayhoo
No i am not,, I didn't say My Viper has better acceleration then My neon, If there is different HP in auto to standard, well then golly gee, they should tell a person. They are rated the same, They should be the same. Maybe If i had more time, I could also get a PHD in Google. and tear apart everything eveyone else types.
Read my post above. It's not that the engine has less HP with an auto, it's that an automatic trans has a higher parasitic loss of power than a manual. A manual uses less engine hp than an automatic. So in most cases, in 2 identical cars with the same identical engines, the one with an auto will be slower.

Last edited by NovaResource; 09-09-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Angry Picky, Picky, Picky!

If I were you, I wouldn't buy anything. NOTHING could ever satisfy you. If I were a dealer, I'd be glad I couldn't sell you anything, but sad I wasted my time with you.

Maybe your Mommy will buy you something.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jayhoo
And last time i checked, this is a Hyundia fourm, so if i wanna tear apart GM crap, i will.
The Pontiac Vibe is in fact a rebadged Toyota Matrix. Fyi.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Default Help me out

Ok - I am struggling, and would be interested in people's thought. I have been looking around to replace an old Saturn station wagon that's time has come...

I am one of the few that like station wagons, and in all my research did not even look at the Elantra Touring - as it is classified as a hatchback. Regardless, I saw the car on the lot and took a look and was intrigued. A bit strange as the competition right now for me is:
1) Used Subura Outback '08 or '09 (AT) - ~25k
2) New Volkswagen TDI Wagon '10(AT) (diesel) ~28k
3) Elantra Touring SE '10(MT) - $19k

Not exactly the competition Elantra's were aimed at... but I am looking for a wagon type body (ie low so I can reach the roof), that has a good roof rack for toys (bikes, boats etc) and will be reliable. I tend to keep my cars a long time (8-10 years).

SO - a few years back I purchased a used Focus wagon and after a month really hated it. Every time I got in it I felt like I was driving a cheap car. Door handles were plastic, engine stunk etc... I ended up getting rid of it. That is the first and hopefully last time I make a mistake like that.

I am intrigued with the Elantra Touring - but fear I will grow to dislike it over time. Not sure I can pinpoint why... Obviously cost is a key reason it is on my list, being significantly cheaper than the other 2 options.... but I don't want to regret this in 6 months.

Thoughts from anyone?

Old 10-01-2009, 05:55 PM

I have driven my ET 5,000 miles and I love this car. German design with a Korean price tag, WHAT A DEAL!!! The only improvement I plan is to add a more powerful amp to the factory radio. Save some cash and buy the ET.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by canhep
I am intrigued with the Elantra Touring - but fear I will grow to dislike it over time. Not sure I can pinpoint why... Obviously cost is a key reason it is on my list, being significantly cheaper than the other 2 options.... but I don't want to regret this in 6 months.

Thoughts from anyone?
The Elantra Touring came up as one of the last cars to check out on my list. However seeing the other cars you have and their much higher price point, I would suggest you test drive all of these cars - thoroughly.

I bought my car 4 months ago and do a lot of driving with it. There are minor quibbles with it such as an interior that scuffs easily and less power than some of its competitors. Sure these are things that can bug me but after near 10,000 miles in the car, I can tell you that I still do not regret having purchased the ride.

At this price point, there are few cars that can compete directly with the car. The interior is voluminous - it fits 5 people comfortably. The seat accommodates my 6'2" frame easily and has great lumbar support for long drives. The car is often loaded to capacity and with the rear seats folded - I'm never out of space for the loads that I carry.

I chose the manual over the automatic transmission even without test driving the manual version and I'm quite happy with my choice. The automatic bleeds a lot of the power from the engine and I would strongly urge you to not consider it.

The car handles pretty well. And the mileage, while not stellar, still comfortably gives me 34 mpg on the highway with. The handling is rather european and a full complement of safety features including the ESC, ABS, EBD and 6 air bags keep me safe in the event of an accident.

The TDI is a great car - but buying the VW name also means that you will be paying more for the services. The same applies to Subaru. The question you have to ask yourself is if you truly need the extra space and/or awd that the other cars offer. If you live in an area where it snows a lot, the Subaru makes a lot of sense.

Once again, I would suggest you figure out how much you are willing to pay for a car, how much space you really need and finally test drive the cars. Happy Hunting!