Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Elantra Touring/Manual Trany

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Default Elantra Touring/Manual Trany

Considering an Elantra Touring with Manual transmission or Honda Fit MT. Any comments?
Seems hard to find dealers with and/or info on MT Touring models. Is there a shortage of them?

Old 06-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a guy who just bought a manual Touring:
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=6701

Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 PM

I had a heck of a time finding my Touring with a manual transmission. There were all of three in a 200 mile radius, one stock and two with the premium package. In the 24 hours after the dealer did the locate that number was down to one. I would have preferred gray without the premium (and my own aftermarket 17" rims/tiers) but there just weren't any to be found. In the end I went with a red one with the premium package before that one got away.

I'm quite happy with my Touring after ~900 miles. Great little car, and well worth looking hard for or ordering it special with the manual transmission. It completely changes the character of the car and how it drives. I drove quite a few cars while shopping, including the new '10 Mazda3 and the Fit. With an automatic the Elantra just didn't cut it, it felt far too sluggish and underpowered to be enjoyable on a daily basis. The m/t makes all the difference in the world. Not quite as good of an overall driving experience as the Mazda3 hatch (which is a blast to drive) but good enough to let the other upsides (more room, better mileage, better warranty, better price) push it over the top. The Fit was a close third but just felt too small by comparison, plus having less cargo room/warranty than the Elantra.

Have your favorite locak dealer scrounge up a manual Elantra Toruing for you to drive. It's worth it.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks all, for the good information. Is there any news on changes for 2010?
Would expect the co. will try an upgrade to radio, suspension tuning, cloths and or leather options and rear seat.... and in this economy, not a bump in price yet. Market is still very competitive and they will have to roll out the top shelf stuff to keep #'s of sales up. Good for those of us in the market.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Red face Manual ET

I had the same problem. I wanted to get the ET in Vivid Blue, Sports Package and manual transmission. I could get the Blue but in automatic. Finally found two in the Pearl Black (great looking car but you look away and turn around and it is dirty) with the options I wanted. When I made up my mind the one WITHOUT the protection package was sold. I ended up splitting (I think) the protection package and still got it for a good price. I have almost 800 miles on it and have averaged a little over 32 on the highway. The first time I drove it on the highway I was a little over the speed limit and still got 34 mpg. I wish the vehicle had a 6th speed to reduce the rpm and increase the gas mileage. I got rid of a Chevy Impala so the increase in mpg is awesome. Happy Touring to everyone. I will probably purchase another one in the next year or two.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:41 PM

I tested the Fit with MT, but ended up going with the ET. Even after owning 2 Hondas, the ET was just way more car for the money.

Ironically, I wanted a silver ET with the sports package and MT. The dealer had a blue one with sports package and MT. I drove it and liked it, but told them I would wait for a silver one. They had put $2k+ in dealer options on the car (mats, undercoat, window tint). I told them I would wait for the silver one and didn't want to pay for dealer options I didn't request. They ended up giving me a great price on the blue one and threw in the dealer options for free to get me to take the blue one. Dealers.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Angry Just Hit 1000 Miles

Hello All,
I have a little over 1000 miles and love this car. Everyone is correct. This is a hard car to find in the 5-speed. I was not going to purchase this vehicle with an automatic even after test driving it. I purchased the 5-speed without even driving it and had to get the Pearl Black but would have preferred the Vivid Blue. CAR WAS SIDESWIPED while it was parked but fortumately not a lot of damage but it will need to be fixed in the drivers side rear quarter between the wheel well and bumper. SUCKS. Love the car but hate the driver that did this to me. Have a great day driving and I am looking forward to the enhancements to the 2010. I may upgrade to the 2010 if they give us more horsepower and a 6th gear. Have a great day all.
TigerOne

Old 07-30-2009, 08:04 AM
Default Manual Transmission, Chillipepper ET

I checked around Florida, my state, and there were no red,chillipepper MT's available and none seemed to be expected in late shipments. Seems companies are gearing up for 2010 imports. There were Black MT's, but dark colors get just too hot in Fl. sun. Actually hope Hyundai comes out with a white or off-white/cream color soon.
Anyway, I'm going to wait and see what life brings in 3-4 months. Then decide.
Thanks all, for your input to my original question. See ya down the road. Ron

Old 09-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Default Bought ET on July 17th

My job required that I buy a ride with cargo capacity, takes regular fuel, is relatively cheap to maintain, under $17k and is good on fuel economy. I spent two weeks scouring the internet for a ride and came up with a short list that included the all of the Subcompact hatches including the Fit, Versa, SX4, Scions, Yaris and so on. The thing is that these cars could not accommodate my 6'2" frame for the long hauls that I knew I would spend in the cars - especially with their rear seats folded down.

In fact, Hyundai did not even raise much effort to market the Elantra Touring. I happened upon it after reading an article in U.S. News about their list of good cars to buy. Until then, I was settling on buying a used WRX or SVT Focus (both are enthusiast's choices - but were shot down by my bosses -- they subsidize my car's cost).

The minute I slid behind the wheel of this car, I knew this Hyundai was a far cry from the products that used to be made by them in the years before. The dash stood out compared to the plasticky dashes that I saw in the other cars that I test drove. This dash is soft to touch and all of the functions are easy to read and use. The fact that they had a manual sealed the deal for me. I, however, did not get a chance to test drive the manual until the day I signed the papers - risky you'd say? Perhaps.

But I was overjoyed after I drove the manual, especially when compared with the old 4-speed Automatic that is offered at an extra cost. The car also offers a full complement of airbags as well as Stability control and ABS standard.

The Elantra Touring is in fact not based on the Elantra, but is actually the Hyundai i30CW offered in Europe. Instead of giving it this designation, Hyundai decided to give its American range continuity and call it the Elantra Touring. Also, it was designed in Germany, giving it a curiously European feel in a Korean car.

Long story short, it fits 4 six footers with ease, gives great fuel economy, is fun to drive on twisty roads (a part of my commute is on 20 miles of the twisties), has great cargo space and with the right amount of bargaining, has a price under the psychological $20,000 barrier.

I've had the car for 6 weeks and have a little over 6,000 miles on it. It's time for a service but the car has been very reliable and quite a revelation. I would strongly urge anyone in the market for a small wagon or SUV to consider this car.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Default Lasts of the 2009's

Kman,
thankyou for your response...I thought this thread was asleep, but really glad it is not..
YOU, have had to satisfy 'Another', who will PAY. I, have to satisfy ME...as the $ comes from my pocket and therefore is a 'bit' more sensitive a subject to my mindset. ')

I doubt anyone reading anything on this site will disagree that the car is not anything but a bargain and above it's competitors in many areas.

THE NEGATIVES "i" SEE:

New model
Forum complaints of suspension glitches
Squeaks and rattles not acceptable when compared to the level of satisfaction expressed with other mfgr/s models.
Plastic dash-which you seem to be the ONLY one that likes....
Poor radio quality/speaker quality/rattles....
Cheap cloth for interior.
Interior cloth that 'marks' and damages, easily.
Reasonable but certainly not great gas milage.
Transmission or final gearing that might be better.....

So, with all the "Sweat" on each and every Auto Mfgr's brow now and for a few years to come, why should ANYONE.............
ANYONE?
THINK OF BUYING.............an Elantra Touring in this configuration?

Hyundai is sucking wind at this point and their sales need to be incredibly better for them to ratchet up to hybrids or electrics or ???

To get this "Economy of Scale", they need to sell LOTS OF STUFF to keep their employees eating.

I feel I need to wait one to three years.to allow them, to digest 'their' best plan before I can possibly choose mine.

Right now, my car is just fine. I drive little and playing the game the Oligopolies and International interests are forcing us to swallow. My lips are sealed. I'll neither take it in nor swallow.

I'm all cash and checking out horizons at the moment.

For ME, I think so much of this goes way beyond cars and so much into international politics and the evolution of // or degradation of cultures/most of which have been sleeping..

so no more of my "good car questions"// thoughts at this moment.

Just an old guy, viet nam vet who listens much and like any turkey, decides for himself when might be appropriate to mate or get ones head shot off. Right now, neither

Tomorrow? car buying is on hold until the major playors start to really IMPRESS me with the Multitude of ideas they have on their shelves that hey have been holding on to for a rainy day.

Hey!! Look!!

Its monsoon season....................

Quick Reply: Elantra Touring/Manual Trany