Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-touring-i30-45/)
-   -   ESC Going off (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-elantra-touring-i30-45/esc-going-off-11046/)

DrDemento 07-26-2011 06:26 AM

Ok, Yes there is a problem with the Touring
The sensor found in the Steering Angle sensor failed. The steering column had to be replaced because the sensor is built into the column.
No charge.

nimbus 08-12-2011 01:12 PM

Add me to the ESC Off club. It happened about a week ago, and lasted for one day. Hasn't recurred---yet. Just restarting the car didn't fix it, but after the car was off for a longer period of time, the light did go out. I hope mine is just the brake light switch.

DrDemento 08-13-2011 07:37 AM

Not sure about the problem being in the Brake Light Switch.
I was told the problem was in the sensors, which are imbedded in the steering column.

chriskwarren 08-14-2011 11:17 AM

Could very well be that more than one issue can cause this symptom. The break light switch was the problem in my car. The switch was replaced and it fixed my esc off light.

phs13 08-16-2011 12:41 AM

Brake Light Switch

Add mine to the brake light switch club. My Hyundai dealer said this was not an uncommon problem across many Hyundai models. Pretty easy fix that was covered under warranty and hasn't come back since.

chriskwarren 05-22-2012 10:33 AM

Resurrecting this thread...My "esc off" light reared its ugly head again last week. Happened twice.

The first time this happened, the brake light sensor triggered it.

About 2 weeks ago, I replaced a rear brake light...forgive my noobishness, but is it safe to assume that the brake lights being replaced would not affect the brake light sensor?

NovaResource 05-23-2012 07:49 AM

I think you mean brake light switch, not sensor. No, a bulb shouldn't affect the switch. However, the switch may have gone bad again.

Mrvold 08-25-2012 12:07 AM

Well this is a new one. I have 2009 Elantra Touring automatic and I had my ESC light go off with less than 5k miles on it. They changed the brake light switch under warranty and that fixed the problem. However, I now have 50k miles on my car and the ESC light has come on again. It came back probably a week or two ago and goes on and off. Today I pulled into my driveway and could not shift from neutral into reverse, had to use the shift lock override to get it into park. Called my dealer and they said that was due to the faulty brake light switch. I am taking the car in on monday, but until then I have to use the shift lock override every time I go into or out of park. Pain in the butt. To top it off, I realized this evening that I have no brake lights. Has anyone else had such an extreme case of brake light switch failure?

NovaResource 08-25-2012 09:33 PM

Normal. Yes, some people have had to get the replacement switch replaced.

miniceptor86 02-06-2013 05:16 PM

Hi Mrvold,

Did Hyundai replace the second brake light switch under warranty?

I'm having the same problem with about the same mileage as you.. First problem with the car other than a misalignment, too much tow in.

Jim