Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Got my 2010 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Default Got my 2010 Touring

Got my RED 2010 Elantra Touring this past Wednesday. Great car! A little less power than the 2.4l 2006 Saturn Ion I just turned in, but I doubt it's going to make a difference unless I find myself in a race.

Really nice ride and feel. 'Tighter', I'd call it. The new Saturn Astra was the Ion's 'replacement', but it was too small as my only vehicle. Sister in law has an Astra (also red! ) and it's amazing how similar they feel. I guess it's that European influence. My ET looks like you took her Astra and just stretched it a little - which is exactly what I wanted to do when I saw her car. Nice, but if only it were a little bigger .

I can't wait to see what it's like in the snow, and also for packing up for 'vacation'. That's why I went 'wagon' this time. So frustrating trying to get stuff in a sedan.

Curious also to see how the MPG will be. Looks good so far, but I'll wait for a couple of weeks before I bother to calculate and post the mileage (with a comparison to the trip computer). My Ion was rated 24 city vs 23 for the ET.

Several years ago I test drove a Hyundai and was NOT impressed at all. The 'new' car felt like a car that you'd been driving over a rough road for 3 years! Rattles and shakes. Not so this time.

I'll post further impressions over the next little while.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by rcashin
I can't wait to see what it's like in the snow...
Congrats on your ET! I'll look for more posts from you. I'm curious what you think of the car in snow. I don't really have to worry much about snow where I live now, but I replaced a Subaru with the ET and am wondering how the ET will handle snow compared to the trusty ole Subaru.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:28 PM

Great to hear it. Load it up and send pics. I put a 7'8" surf board and a bike into mine for a day trip. Sure I have roofracks but I would rather keep my toys inside when I can for security, wind noise and MPGs.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:44 PM

Hey guys. I suspect I'll have a report on ET in the snow before I have a pic of ET with a full load.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:57 PM

You putting winters on yours? I'll be putting them on mine (and help keep the 17in rims looking good).

I'm interested to see how well the traction control works! (in a controlled condition of course lol)

Old 11-08-2009, 04:57 PM

Hi again Chris ... yeah, I had the dealer put winters on before I took delivery. Wife suggested we'd have to get it done very soon anyway, so why not do it now.

I ran for years with all-seasons, but when I got my first Saturn Ion, it was like driving a bananna in the snow, so I started using winter tires. Made a big diff. I'm hoping this car will be better than the Ion in snow.

We actually had a winter snowstorm forecast here this weekend, but it wimped out to rain.

I read your other post re tires. I wanted 'Ice' tires - the dealer didn't seem 100% sure what I meant, but they said all their tires are 'ice' tires, and installed them. From what I've read, 'ice' tires are a step up from winter tires, but I don't know if I really have them or not!

Next winter I think I'll get the spare rims too.