Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Hello and what do you think of this ET I found...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Default Hello and what do you think of this ET I found...

Hello, I just registered to this forum. Glad to see the ET/i30 has it's own space. I stumbled upon the ET while searching for a hatchback to upgrade from my 2008 Toyota Matrix. I have never seen one and knew nothing about them.

I am very happy with the Matrix as a daily commuter. I am going to be taking a few road trips per year and do not relish the thought of riding in the Matrix for 12 hours. I was very pleased to find threads here confirming that the ET is a definite step up from the Matrix/Vibe in most regards.

A local dealer has a used 2010 SE manual with 12k miles for $16,000. The vehicle history report indicates that it was registered new in California as a corporate fleet car. One year later it was sold at auction with 12k miles and is now offered as a CPO car at my local Oklahoma dealer.

I'm curious to hear what folks think of the price and your opinion as to the history of the car. I'm wondering what circumstances would have a car bought new, driven relatively low miles for one year, then sold at auction.

I am considering discussing a trade with my Matrix for this car. My '08 Matrix is in very nice condition with only 35k miles. I would think it would make a nice trade. Or I could sell it myself on Craigslist.

Thanks for your opinions...

Old 12-07-2011, 03:15 PM

I would keep the matrix if i was you.
Your matrix looses value slower than an ET
The plastic trunk doesn't get dirty like carpet
Quality of the matrix is higher imo
It feels like you are changing a 10$ bill for two 5$
You know more about the matrix well keeping than the ET
The ET is a firmer ride thN the matrix so long trips won't be as good
Epa is better on the matrix unless you have an xrs 2.4
If you have a matrix xrs just leave this site and go drive your car

Please note that i love my elantra touring but i honestly don't see the reason for change for you
I looked at the matrix when buying mine and my choice was based on financing option and price. Plus i'm in my car for a max of 20 min per day so firm ride i like

Old 12-07-2011, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the input. The things I don't like about the Matrix are the odd driving position with the steering wheel being too far forward. The reach gets tiring. There is a fair amount of noise in the car, mostly wind noise, which is understandable being an economy car. And the car really gets tossed around in the wind. It is a very reliable and solid car and I do like it. My overall mileage is a very consistent 33 mpg.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by snakoil
I would keep the matrix if i was you.
Your matrix looses value slower than an ET
The plastic trunk doesn't get dirty like carpet
Quality of the matrix is higher imo
It feels like you are changing a 10$ bill for two 5$
You know more about the matrix well keeping than the ET
The ET is a firmer ride thN the matrix so long trips won't be as good
Epa is better on the matrix unless you have an xrs 2.4
If you have a matrix xrs just leave this site and go drive your car

Please note that i love my elantra touring but i honestly don't see the reason for change for you
I looked at the matrix when buying mine and my choice was based on financing option and price. Plus i'm in my car for a max of 20 min per day so firm ride i like
Agree with this. Been driving Toyotas over 20 years and as of 2011 I don't beleive Hyundai is on the same level quality or service wise. Also had a 2006 and 2007 Corolla and put on over 60k miles from new and neither has ever had a problem. The ET isn't a bad vehicle but I wouldn't buy another one. Fuel mileage is never consistant from week to week and when you bring it in for something there's never a problem found unless there is some kind of error code. Was considering a 2012 Matrix in the near future myself along with a Rav4.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Interesting. I certainly do not want to give up the awesome reliability which is why I bought a Toyota in the first place. And the fuel economy. My '08 is the last year of the first generation. It's a little lacking in features and the clutch and shifter are disappointing. But I still like it. My parents have a Rav4 that they really like. It's a little smaller than they expected and fuel economy isn't what they'd hoped. But it's an automatic and mom drives it like she stole it
Thanks for your input!

Old 12-10-2011, 10:29 AM

I somewhat agree with the previous statements, however, I had neither when I was looking. I drove a friends Matrix and although its got that Toyota reliability, it's storage compartment and backseat were just too small for me. Driving position was ok and tough to get comfortable. I shopped both and ended up with an '11 SE manual. I think it shifts nicer, clutch feel is nicer, ergonomics all around work for me better than the Matrix.

Only downside is it doesn't feel quite as refined as the Toyota and the mileage isn't quite as good. 5th gear needs to be taller. But I love driving it . The E/T is a bit rougher riding on the highway than my friends Matrix but I attribute it to being a more sporting car and lower profile tires.

No regrets here with the E/T.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by gjz30075
I somewhat agree with the previous statements, however, I had neither when I was looking. I drove a friends Matrix and although its got that Toyota reliability, it's storage compartment and backseat were just too small for me. Driving position was ok and tough to get comfortable. I shopped both and ended up with an '11 SE manual. I think it shifts nicer, clutch feel is nicer, ergonomics all around work for me better than the Matrix.

Only downside is it doesn't feel quite as refined as the Toyota and the mileage isn't quite as good. 5th gear needs to be taller. But I love driving it . The E/T is a bit rougher riding on the highway than my friends Matrix but I attribute it to being a more sporting car and lower profile tires.

No regrets here with the E/T.
My 06 Corolla was hard to get comfortable in, but for some reason the 07 was more comfortable. The 07 was my favorite car but got totaled (rear ended) last year. I didn't like the 2011 Corollas even though they were roomier and was weary of the self-acceleration thing going on at the time with Toyotas although I never experienced it. My ET is roomier, wife likes it because she's 6'1" and likes the extra space for the grandkids and was fairly comfortable on our 400 mile vacation last October. But I agree it's not as refined, has a few quality quirks and just feels like something thrown together, and some will argue "well it's only a $18k car", but that kind of money bought a decent Toyota, not that Hyundai offers anything less, but just my 2 cents.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by jcw74801
Hello, I just registered to this forum. Glad to see the ET/i30 has it's own space. I stumbled upon the ET while searching for a hatchback to upgrade from my 2008 Toyota Matrix. I have never seen one and knew nothing about them.

I am very happy with the Matrix as a daily commuter. I am going to be taking a few road trips per year and do not relish the thought of riding in the Matrix for 12 hours. I was very pleased to find threads here confirming that the ET is a definite step up from the Matrix/Vibe in most regards.

A local dealer has a used 2010 SE manual with 12k miles for $16,000. The vehicle history report indicates that it was registered new in California as a corporate fleet car. One year later it was sold at auction with 12k miles and is now offered as a CPO car at my local Oklahoma dealer.

I'm curious to hear what folks think of the price and your opinion as to the history of the car. I'm wondering what circumstances would have a car bought new, driven relatively low miles for one year, then sold at auction.

I am considering discussing a trade with my Matrix for this car. My '08 Matrix is in very nice condition with only 35k miles. I would think it would make a nice trade. Or I could sell it myself on Craigslist.

Thanks for your opinions...

I have a co worker that has a Matrix, and I have an 09 ET. The engine in the ET is very unrefined, and is very buzzy at all speeds. A lot of body creaks, too. I didnt find that to be the case( or nearly as bad, no creaks) in the Matrix. If youre happy with it, Id keep it.

Disclaimer- Youll find plenty of ET owners here satisifed with their vehicles. I am not one of them. It offers space, and is relatively comfortable. Those are its positive traits, imo. Mileage is as advertised in my vehicle.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:48 AM

In my opinion you should stay with Toyota because its a very fuel efficient and durable car whereas ET on other hand is not as much efficient as Toyota.The comfort you can get in Toyota is immeasurable.I suggest that you stick with your car.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by blh7068
I have a co worker that has a Matrix, and I have an 09 ET. The engine in the ET is very unrefined, and is very buzzy at all speeds. A lot of body creaks, too. I didnt find that to be the case( or nearly as bad, no creaks) in the Matrix. If youre happy with it, Id keep it.

Disclaimer- Youll find plenty of ET owners here satisifed with their vehicles. I am not one of them. It offers space, and is relatively comfortable. Those are its positive traits, imo. Mileage is as advertised in my vehicle.
I hear you on the creaking. Just came back from my "Best in the region" dealer for a state inspection and the infamous creaking sound in the back. Rear hatch also rattles from time to time. Got told it was the tray above the tire rattling around. Went up the street about a mile or two before I realized I took the tray out a while back to make room for my full size spare- tray won't fit with a full size tire. Turned around and went back to the dealer and this time he said he (assistant srevice manager) thought it was the shade. I asked if he drove it without the shade, he says no. Bottom line is I doubt my noise was checked out- wasn't even on the repair order. Can't wait for that survey to come around. Why waste a customers time and then beg for a high score?