Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Honeymoon with Touring Appears Over

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Default Honeymoon with Touring Appears Over

Our 2009 Touring certainly left my wife and me in a bad position. At 19,000 miles the battery went dead in a remote park in California. I was finally able to get a jump start and drive home - 250 miles. The ESC light came on during the drive home but the speed control worked as did the brake lights (brake light switch seemed good).

The car was two weeks over the 24 month battery warranty so I had to pay 75% of the new battery - apparently no assistance from Hyundai. The dealer did the diagnostic check and recorded the following fault codes - C1513 Brake Light Switch and C1260 Steering Angle Sensor.

Meanwhile the A/C Control Head went bad as it wouldn't come out of Max or Recirc. The dealer ordered the Steering and AC parts after replacing the battery and brake light switch. The parts arrived (two separate orders) a week apart. Two more trips to the dealer service but finally got the car back - repaired under warranty - except for the battery.

A week later the entire A/C stopped working - hot air only. Dealer said there was a slight leak but he was unable to find it. He put in some dye and recharged the A/C. He said it would probably take a few days for the dye to show the leak. The next morning my wife drove to the dealer with no A/C. The few days were overnight. They replaced the compressor.

The next day I returned complaining that the A/C outlet air was only warm, not cool. Once again they recharged the system - this time with a full charge.

During all of this I wanted to know why the Touring did not come equipped with tinted glass. I was finally told by the dealer and Hyundai Customer Service that tinted glass was not available on any Touring and replacement glass is also not tinted.

We spent almost the entire month of August with the car in and out of the dealer trying to get it repaired. Not a sign of a true quality automobile. The warranty cost to Hyundai was almost $2000 with $1200 being the steering angle sensor alone.

Thru this Forum I have discovered several great features on this car but several annoying features about Hyundai and their marginal, at best, design/engineering work.

The Touring has lots of nice features like cargo capacity, fair fuel economy, comfort, etc. but it falls flat in too many other areas. It certainly is not cutting edge when compared to it's competition.

Ray

Old 09-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Default Touring

Ray - I have a 2010 Touring. I don't understand why the dealer changed the steering angle sensor as you did not say you had any steering problems. Did he tell you why? Just curious.

Brigida

Old 09-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

The steering angle sensor does not affect the steering. It is used by the stability control (ESC) to determine the position of the steering wheel and the front wheel steering angle.
Stability Control: Get Your Yaw-Yaws Out! - Edmunds.com