Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

low beam cutoff

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Default sorry

sorry I'm in the wrong forum I got here by searching and didn't know where I was and yes I did read all of the posts and none of them address the problem as I described in detail.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, I just wanted to make sure you knew the Elantra Touring and the Elantra sedan were totally different vehicles with very little in common. Many people think they are similar cars and I wasn't sure if you knew they were different.

As far as the lights go, it's just the nature of modern headlights. Headlight design has been working towards a very distinct cutoff to the beams to keep the light from going too high and blinding oncoming traffic. Basically, it's working as designed.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:47 AM

Unfortuneatley this is a psychological/mental thing then with you. There is not problem with the lights. Unless they are not aimed correctly.
You are seeing more and what you are seing is being better illuminated. There is much brighter light up to the cut off point, this is much brighter light than you had before at that height. Do some actual comparisons rather than whining. Although I realize that even this may not work with a lot of you. Take a car with the regular poor headlights and put it right next to the Hyundai at night and see where the lights aim and what they illuminate.
Enough of this ignorant crying!!

Old 10-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Default Sharp cutoff

You'll find this quite common in cars engineered to meet euro specs. It is assumed that drivers have received proper driver training and know how to use their HIGH beam lights to provide fill when low beams are not sufficient. Most Americans have grown used to the DOT designs for headlamps that throw light all over the place. DOT actually requires a certain amount of upwards light splash to illuminate overhead road signs. Europeans just light the signs.

Originally Posted by guelpher
I just bought a 2011 ET. I'm happy with everything except the harsh "cutoff" between the light and dark regions on the headlamp low beam, which is like looking out from under a black curtain. Last fall I hit a deer, so I'm a bit paranoid about driving on country roads with what seems like less lighting distance. (The high beams are fine.)

I found this excellent article that explains the kind of headlights I've been used to for decades vs. the new ET's:
http://www.motivemagazine.com/pub/fe...n_Lights.shtml

After taking out the bulb, which is a standard H11B, I saw that half the projector is blocked by a horizontal piece of metal. So it appears that a different bulb is not going to change the lighting geometry.

Over on the Azera forum, there's an old thread about adjusting the "upper-level cut-off" with a Phillips screwdriver:
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1948

Does anyone know whether such an adjustment is possible on the ET headlamp, and if so, how??

Thanks for any suggestions!