Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 04:31 PM
sec
Default Mpg

onboard computer= 28.9
pencil & paper= 28.2

mph is off too I would assume.

neighbor has a Touring, we bought at the same time. Will do a head to head mph comparison and then against my Grand Marquis.

Will post results

Old 10-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Lightbulb

Interesting.

My recent trip was a record breaker, for me, with Computer: 33.4 mpg

And pen and paper: 34.246 mpg

However, on most other occasions it is the computer that over estimates that actual mileage.

Another thing you and your neighbor should check is to see if your speedo is reading lower than your actual speed. The speedo is linked to the odometer and both are linked to the fuel estimate.
My speedo error is approximately 4%. It makes a difference...

Old 10-27-2009, 09:38 AM

I am on my 5th tank and still off by 1 MPG from the computer to the "Calculator" (Who uses paper and pencil?) I couldn't resist.

My driving is 80% city, stop and go. Best for far is 25.5MPG (Calculator).

Its great to hear about these figures in the 30s.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Remember, the computer MPG is an ESTIMATE, not exact. If you are with 1 mph then you are doing fine. I've found the computer is within 0.1-MPG on average of hundreds of tankfulls. However, I've seen actual the computer to be as much as 2-MPG high to 2-MPG low. It's never going to be exact because when you fill your tank it's not exact.

Last edited by NovaResource; 10-27-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
It's never going to be exact because when you fill your tank it's not exact.
You got that right! When I fill up the Range (Distance til empty) varies from 310 to 330. I also check it while driving against the Trip meter and have seen the sum of the two go up to 360.

I happy to find a group that likes to chat about this stuff since my better half thinks I am a geek for trying to figure this stuff out. She drives a Dodge Magnum RT with a Hemi.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Not to worry, there are pleanty of automotive "nerds" here. LOL! But, you gotta love a woman that drives a Hemi!

Old 10-27-2009, 02:16 PM

A woman who drives a wagon and a hemi is a keeper

The driving I do is 85% highway therefore that would explain the great mileage. Also, when I refill, my Range usually indicates between 375 - 381. Williama, I would suggest that you check to make sure you're getting a full tank load.

Another difference in my driving has occurred lately. I'm no longer the proverbial lead foot -- I use CC as much as possible and don't pass 70 mph, in fact I'm usually closer to 65 mph.

This is a new page in my book and I don't know how much of this I can put up with!!

Also, Williamam, when I drive in the city I do not pass 2500 rpm -- even in San Francisco, and my gas mileage is happily maintained.

Try and make a few changes in the way you drive and you'll likely see a spike in your economy.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by williama

My driving is 80% city, stop and go. Best for far is 25.5MPG (Calculator).
I filled up with 10 Gallons yesterday and got 26.3 MPG(Calculator)/27.8 MPG(car computer). This week I hit the highway a little bit more and I like to see the computer avg tick up and up and up.

Thanks for the tip about keeping it under 2500 RPM. I've been keeping it under 3000 RPM for my city driving. I'll try that and will post results next week.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by williama
When I fill up the Range (Distance til empty) varies from 310 to 330. I also check it while driving against the Trip meter and have seen the sum of the two go up to 360.
The range that you are getting after filling up seems inconsistent. Do you reset all of your trip computer settings after each fill up?

Also, try and fill up gas either early morning or in the evening, after the sun goes down. This is due to the slightly more condense nature of gas when it is cooler.

Everytime I fill up, the range states 375-388 miles to the tank...this is a great indicator of how full my tank is. Also, I recently broke into 417 miles with 12.2 gallons with 1.8 gallons more to go...enjoy hyper-miling.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kman
The range that you are getting after filling up seems inconsistent. Do you reset all of your trip computer settings after each fill up?
Distance to empty is an ESTIMATE that is calculated based of how full the tank is and the previous calculated average MPG. If you just got off the highway for a long time before filling up, the distance to empty will be higher because of a higher average MPG. If you just did a lot of city driving before filling up, the distance to empty will be lower because of a lower average MPG.

Originally Posted by kman
Also, try and fill up gas either early morning or in the evening, after the sun goes down. This is due to the slightly more condense nature of gas when it is cooler.
Sorry but that is a total myth.
http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/aut...umping_gas.htm
1. Fill your tank in the morning when the temperature is cooler so you get more volume for your money.

The basic science behind this is correct. Liquids expand as they warm. The figure usually cited for gasoline is about a 1% increase in volume per 15-degree rise in temperature. Therefore, if you buy 20 gallons of gas at a 90-degree temperature, due to expansion you end up with about 2% less product for your money than you would have gotten had you pumped 60-degree gasoline. At a retail price of $3.00 per gallon that differential would cost you $1.20. The thing is, given that the gasoline is pumped from huge underground tanks wherein the temperature is less variable than that of the outside air, it's very unlikely you would encounter a 30-degree variance in fuel temperature in a 24-hour period. In fact, says a physicist interviewed by KLTV News in Jacksonville, over the course of a day the fuel temperature probably varies no more than a scant few degrees, so the actual savings from pumping in the morning would likely amount to only a few cents per fill-up.

Quick Reply: Mpg