Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 05:15 PM

(Aside to William ... uh, well actually you ARE a geek. Just because there are MORE geeks, doesn't mean you aren't one

I picked up my new ET today. I noticed when you sit and idle, your MPG on the trip computer climbs quickly. Could this account for some difference in hand-calculation versus trip computer?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by rcashin
(Aside to William ... uh, well actually you ARE a geek. Just because there are MORE geeks, doesn't mean you aren't one

I picked up my new ET today. I noticed when you sit and idle, your MPG on the trip computer climbs quickly. Could this account for some difference in hand-calculation versus trip computer?
I am very much a geek! That's what makes the car payments.

Congrats on the new ride. Not sure about idling since I keep it in Range view when I drive but I'll be sure to check it. Also I did notice a difference with the AC cranking at full when I had to use it all day compared to when I use the car in the evenings/nights. I am sure over the next couple of months I'll start to notice it.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:48 AM

There is an efficiency drop of 10-20% for each 10 mph over 60 mph. This accounts for most of variation below the 32-24 mpg people have been reporting. Aerodynamics and practicality dictate the compromise. You can't fit a sheet of plywood into a GTP car.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by kman
Also, Williamam, when I drive in the city I do not pass 2500 rpm -- even in San Francisco, and my gas mileage is happily maintained.

Try and make a few changes in the way you drive and you'll likely see a spike in your economy.
It was hard work to keep it under 2500 rpm but that certainly helped.

I filled up today and the computer said 30.0 MPG and calculator shows 29.2 MPG. That's my best yet. Also I've been reading hypermiling sites and using the other tips like cruise control, too.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by williama

I filled up today and the computer said 30.0 MPG and calculator shows 29.2 MPG. That's my best yet. Also I've been reading hypermiling sites and using the other tips like cruise control, too.
I only manage to keep it at or below 2500 Rpms every now and again. However, my last tank gave me 398 miles on 12.267 gallons (I keep close tabs on my mileage) and this was with some 6% gradients for about 200 miles (both up and down). And some almost triple digit speeds (on flat, wide, straight highway), I don't condone it but sometimes it's nice to stretch your legs, ya dig?

Cruise control is a great way to keep the mileage constant and low. And remember, if you're headed down a hill, to take your foot off the gas -- let the engine do some engine breaking for you.

As I understand it, when you are headed down a hill and either leave the vehicle in gear or down shift, while engine breaking occurs, very little or no fuel is combusted -- thereby increasing your mileage and therefore range.

Last edited by kman; 11-06-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Here's a fun article on how to make an e92 M3 hypermile

http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planett...top-fuel-tips/

Last edited by kman; 11-06-2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:14 PM

I went on my first mini road trip from West Palm Beach to Orlando/Tampa ( about 3 hour each way). I barely got 28 MPG on the computer and calculated.

I had cruise control set to 78-80 MPH and cars were still passing me. Speed limit is 70 for 90% of that trip.

I know that's a little too quick for maximum MPG.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:45 AM

I went on my first mini road trip from West Palm Beach to Orlando/Tampa ( about 3 hour each way). I barely got 28 MPG on the computer and calculated.

I had cruise control set to 78-80 MPH and cars were still passing me. Speed limit is 70 for 90% of that trip.

I know that's a little too quick for maximum MPG.
Definitely too quick for a max mpg run...but you still should have been closer to the 30mpg mark.

I bought my ride in July of this year and my ticker just went over 16000 miles...however my journeys are typically spent on the highway 90% of the time. More often than not, I'm in the 33 mpg range as long as I stay under 75 mph.

Also, it's been pretty cold here, so using the A/C hasn't even crossed my mind...I'm sure there are variables that I'm not accounting for, but it sounds like you're making a bit of progress.

As for cars passing you at 80 mph as per your dash, I'm not surprised, my ET has a 5% speedo error, I suggest you get your ET checked out for this error that was diagnosed by my local dealer.

Oh and lastly, do you have a manual or automatic? If you have an automatic, the discrepancy makes a lot more sense.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Default Mpg

I don't have 600 miles on my 2010 yet and the first check for city driving was 29 mpg (pencil.paper from odo). I traded in my 2006 Pontiac Vibe which was giving me 30/31mpg city and 35/36 mpg highway...(pecil/papaer). I expected to lose some MPG, but part is due to the 2.0 L engine. I'm 6'9" and the room I have for my legs is great! I'm a happy camper so far.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

I'd say you are doing good since the Touring is rated at 23 mpg city / 31 mpg highway / 26 mpg combined (source).

I'm also a former Vibe owner (first year 2003):

And while the Touring has a larger engine (2.0L vs the 1.8L), the Touring is also heavier than the Vibe:

2006 Vibe = 2700 lbs (source)
2009 Touring = 2937 lbs (source)

Thats a difference of 237 lbs.

Quick Reply: Mpg