Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Need help with ET vs Vibe decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Default Need help with ET vs Vibe decision

I'm new to the forum and hope you experts can help me. After having my mind set on a Vibe for a couple years as my next vehicle I just recently discovered that the ET existed and it is pushing for the top spot.

I've found a few posts referencing the two but any specifics by owners of both would be appreciated as well as comments on my impressions. I've only had a brief glance at the ET in the showroom and need to test drive one. I have driven an auto Vibe before and I don't like the new ones and am only interested in used '06-'08 models.

I'm replacing a bare bones 5 spd 96 Saturn SL1 with 263,000 miles and a still amazing 42mpg average on a 80 mile/day mostly highway commuting. Tough to give up with that mileage but I'm ready for an upgrade with hopefully not too big of drop in mpg.

ET
1.More options. Ipod connection is a big plus for me, as well as heated seats and mirrors.
2.Nicer front styling.
3.Better warranty and value.
4.I like the somewhat Euro pedigree

Vibe
1.Nicer sides and rear with higher beefier look. Seems to have a more solid body.
2.Rear window that opens and flat folding passenger seat for hauling. Does ET front seat fold flat?
3.Wider footprint and more ground clearance (may be wrong about this)
4.Related Toyota quality (questionable these days!)

Questions:
1.I've driven a stick for years but would consider an auto for the rest of the family. What is the relative drop in pep in either with an auto?

2.For those who have had both vehicles which do you prefer and why?

3.I want a sunroof and roof rails. Are there any issues with the ET on either?

4.I'm in WI so winter driving conditions can occur 1/2 of the year. How does the ET handle in snow and on ice?

I appreciate any help you can provide. I'm dealing with a 5-8K difference in cost based on a used Vibe vs. 2010 ET even with the current $1500 incentive at the dealer but the added options and warranties even that out some.

I briefly scouted a few Hyundai forums but this one seemed a better choice with respect to the ET. Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

OK, I'm a former Vibe owner (2003) and while I'm not an ET owner, I have driven the Touring. My choice would be the ET.

A few things that might answer some of your questions:
- the Vibe does have heated mirrors like the ET (at least mine did)
- the Touring has slightly more HP and torque than a base Vibe
- The Vibe and ET have almost identical MPG with a slight edge to the Vibe due to its lighter weight
- the Touring has a longer wheel base
- the Vibe is only 0.4" wider
- both have the same ground clearance
- you will lose some "pep" and MPG in both cars with an auto but manuals are available in both
- The Vibe is available with AWD if snow is an issue; the ET is not
- The ET has side curtain air bags; I don't believe the older Vibe does
- The Vibe is available in a GT model with a 6-speed manual and 173-hp

Old 03-12-2010, 05:38 PM

I typed a response yesterday, but my login session expired and I lost everything with it. I'll try again today.

First of all, I think your analysis is pretty good. I think you definitely need to test drive the ET. Here's my feedback.

1) I can't say how the auto compares with the manual, but I find that the power in both is sufficient for my driving needs. You feel like you're pushing them in situations where you need the power, but it usually seems very available. To me the Vibe feels more able, but I think that's more to do with the relative engine noise (Hyundai is a little higher in pitch, I think so it sounds like more of a struggle even if it isn't)

2) I prefer my Vibe (we have an '08 Vibe and '09 Touring -- not our intent to buy two new cars so close together, but our previous car got written off after a collision). It's largely an emotional thing. I feel more confident in its reliability, even though I haven't yet had much reason to doubt the Touring (cold starts were fleetingly accompanied with a squeal for a couple of days being the worst trouble we've had).

On the road, I do prefer the way the Vibe feels and its handling. It took a while to get used to the Elantra's steering feel for me.

I should note that our Touring has a lot more in the way of amenities (power locks, windows, heated seats, mirrors, cruise) than our Vibe. Doesn't tip the competition, though.

3) Hyundai has rails as a dealer option. No idea about sunroof, as I have zero interest in getting one in any car I own, ever. Period. Full stop. Etc.

4) I wouldn't want to drive either car on all-seasons. Stock tires on the ET are probably a little better on snow than the atrocious Goodyears that come standard on the Vibe. But we have the same kind of winter tires (General Altimax Arctic) on both vehicles. With winters, they both handle fine, although I would give the Elantra an edge in sure-footedness, particularly off the line. That may be because the ET is generally carrying more weight in passengers and cargo, but I don't know.

Some other stuff:

- The cargo area in the Touring (seats not folded down) is a fair bit larger than in the Vibe. We overpacked for our vacation last summer and the Vibe would have been bursting at the seams.

- Make sure you like the ET driving position. I think my wife is used to it now... but she was the bigger fan of the Touring pre-purchase, and after we bought it she started complaining about the seating position. I'm not sure why, I have no issues with it... and she's either found a seat adjustment she likes or she's just given up on complaining about it

Regarding Nova's comment on side-curtian airbags, they definitely aren't standard on the years you're looking at, but at least in the '08 they were an option. So that's a feature you'll definitely want to look in to.

In your shoes, I don't know what I'd do. I love my Vibe, but I'm always a little leery about buying used. There's the adage that you're losing $2000 when you drive off the lot, but the mileage and prices on newer used vehicles are a little high, at least in this neck of the woods, on recent used cars (for my taste, anyhow, a used Vibe was my first plan of attack after our old car got smashed).

IMO, you're never sure what you're getting with a used car (and I've got a 50-50 track record on used vehicles), so I might go for the Touring, despite my preference for the Vibe. But I think both are good cars.

EDIT: Also consider in your pricing the money you may have to spend to get some of the features you might want in the Vibe (new stereo for iPod connection, perhaps? Winter tires?)

Last edited by jamsandwich; 03-12-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

I think either would be a good choice. I loved my Vibe but I think I would go with the ET if I had a choice now.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:40 AM
Default Pontiac

I loved the Vibe but the fact that Pontiac no longer exists weighed into my decision. I figured I'd need to be going to junk yards for parts 5 years down the road. Bought the ET and am very happy.

Lyn

Old 03-15-2010, 12:34 PM

I appreciate all of the comments. From my experiences Vibe owners tend to be quite loyal to their vehicles, so the fact that most of you feel the ET is at least on the same level or better makes me feel good.

My wife and I test drove a 2010 ET SE with auto and were impressed. I wish I could have compared a 5 spd but they had none in stock. Even so I decided to have them try and locate a 5 spd SE in black for us. The $1000 difference and some added fuel economy were enough to convince me to stay with a manual for my daily commuter. I wish they had a better selection of colors. Black will be a bear to keep looking clean but I thought it gave the car a richer and maybe sportier look.

I figure unless I found a steal on a used Vibe the extra 4 grand or so we'll be paying is worth it for the warranties and all of the options that I wouldn't get otherwise. I do regret not having the available flexibiltiy with the rear window opening and fold down from passenger seat on the Vibe, but the extra cargo space should help. A $1500 cash back deal didn't hurt either!

As a future ET owner I'll probably frequent this forum and share my experiences.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Default concerning winter driving

I've had the chance to drive my 2010 Touring in some pretty bad snow/ice/slush on the highway. I have the 16" wheels with the stock Hankook tires. I have driven mainly front wheel drive smaller vehicles in all kinds of weather since about 1983. I drive a lot as I do field service and lived in the upper midwest all my life until 2000. Why the history? I was blown away by the way the Touring powered through the snow without pulling or struggling. I was probably driving too fast, but the car didn't want to slow down! Even when the drivers side tires were in the snow & the passenger side was on the just wet pavement, the car held straight. The ESC didn't even come on until I made it by downshifting and gunning it. I don't know if the ESC can be on if the light isn't on, or if it's the electronic power steering, or the tires, but it was amazing.
I searched for a vehicle like this looking for a wagon & high mileage, low price. I was not expecting all of the features and didn't really care about power windows, door locks, I was going to put in my own stereo (NOT necessary!), ESC, cargo light, sunglasses holder, cabin air filter, I kept my last cat for 10 years so the warrantee was a factor.... I have to stop. I love this car.