Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

New Tire Recommendation for Touring SE ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:38 PM
ecy
Default New Tire Recommendation for Touring SE ?

Hi to all Touring drivers..I'm a new user here . I bought my touring SE auto in Janurary, 2010. Love it so far. the only CON is the tires(noisy).. I am planning to replace my OEM tires ... which all-season tire do you recommend for Touring SE ?
BTW. so far I've seen only 2 elantra touring on the road in bay area, northern california...

Thanks for your help...

Last edited by ecy; 05-20-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:12 PM

First, welcome aboard. We need more members. Second, which tires do you have? The Kuhmos are very good tires. The Hankooks are close to being the worst. If you have the Hankooks, don't take any chances with snow. And lastly, let tirerack.com be your guide. They have a great research page. To save you some time, the Michelin Primacy MXV4's are top of its category, and are best purchased at Costco. I have them on my Vibe and will get them again for my ET when winter rolls around and I have to remove the worthless Hankooks.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:56 PM
ecy

Thanks for your suggestion. My OEM tires are Kumho Solus KH16 and the size is 215/45R17. I also looked at Michelin Primacy MSV4, however, it doesn't have the correct size... I might consider getting Continental ExtremeContact DWS which also has tons of good reviews as Primacy MSV4.

The next item in my mind is All-Weather Mat.... I was thinking about getting FloorLiner DigitalFit from weathertech.com but they only have that for Elantra sedan....

Old 07-10-2010, 11:45 PM
jdp

I have the same tires (Kumho Solus KH16 215/45R17 87H) as OEM. They did okay in the snow of Chicago this winter. I had trouble getting out of parking spaces when the snow was over 3-5 inches (I am definitely buying a shovel before this winter). They just do not have the tread to dig perhaps...A big plus in the winter was the sensitivity in the steering (I could tell when its icy) and the anti-lock brakes. Snow also seems to cake around the tires, which I feel contributed to some skidding I experienced when trying to stop.

However, I am impressed by their resilience. Since I bought my ET I have had to replace my front passenger tire twice. Once, my wife ran over a curb and unknowingly tore out some rubber from the inside wall of the tire. Weeks go by, go to dealer for an oil change, tire need replacing. Drive an half and a half to Tire Rack distributor in South Bend, IN to get it replaced. No problems. Last week, we noticed a bubble on the exterior wall of our tire. Just today (we parked it after we found out), drive to same place an hour and a half away to get it replaced. No problems. (We go to South Bend because they are the only ones around us that have the tire in stock.)

Will I buy them again? I am on the fence as I would like to have better performance in the snow, however I do believe Kumhos are trustworthy.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:17 AM

I would think twice about that. Since you use Tire Rack, why not rely on their ratings as well. The OEM model we have is awful. Use their ratings to find another brand.