Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 01:39 AM
Default Newbie question

Hello Guys,
First time here so I'm hoping I can get some good advise.
Earlier this year I purchased my first Hyundai, an I30, similar to the attached picture, I live in the NSW Highlands of Oz and am wanting to attach a pair of small fog lights but would like them recessed in the grille, I was thinking below but to the sides of the number plate.

It's a 2 litre base version but there seems to be a lot of electronic gadgetry packed in the grille area and I do not want to damage that so I am wondering if anyone can tell me is there a way of removing just the grille that doesn't involve taking off the front end?
I have also noticed that when I'm in traffic and cruising at the same speed, the car at times feels like it's trying to find a lower gear or brake slowing down on it's own accord, I'm not sure whether this is an actual gearing issue and when I get it serviced it'll be fixed or the car is automatically braking even though there are no alarms going off.
Any thoughts and input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 12-16-2021, 05:54 PM

Because there are sensors for the ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance System) all over the front of your vehicle , it is not recommended to mess with anything up front .
If anything is disturbed, the system is no longer reliable and realignment may be required ,,,,and it is not cheap !!

It is getting more difficult to work on late model vehicles without special knowledge and equipment.
You might inquire from a qualified shop or dealership if they can handle the job AND how much it will cost. The dealership knows what is up there and what to leave alone , unless the customer wants it and is willing to absorb the cost for the entire job. That would be the smart thing to do.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:38 PM

Thanks Hanky,
I am having all sorts of issues already (purchased May 21) with sensors and has led to a minor accident (alarm NOT going off until actual contact), going off for no reason or when safely distanced away from other vehicles, Have even had auto braking cut in and stop me when in a dedicated left turn lane and there was no vehicle in front of me (scared the **** out of me, as I was already braking to make my left turn - to have an alarm go off and the brake pedal go to the floor!!!) and fortunately there was nothing behind me either.
Mechanically the car is good but unfortunately the overly elaborate sensors are a pain.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:07 AM

I would think your have a more pressing concern with your vehicle right now than fog lites.

From what you state, the system has been disturbed and is actually a liability rather than an asset.

Some systems allow you to disable them and you have to revert to attentive driving. Your owner's manual should explain if you can do that

If not, a dealership should have the equip and knowledge to fix it or you might check with some body shops that do their own reprogramming of the ADAS system
No harm in getting a few estimates and decide what path you want to follow.