Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

OEM Tires..

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Default OEM Tires..

HATE these Khumo (or whatever) tires on my 2010 SE Touring. HATE them. They're slippery hard in the dry and wet and WORTHLESS in snow, and this car has 6500 miles with one tire rotation done at 5000 miles. Dealer shrugs, has NO opinion. Awful, awful tires. I figure, why bother with Hyundai Motors, THEY specified these tires after all.

So? I'm not the only one. So what are folks replacing these tires with?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:56 PM

Agreed, these tires are truly awful. I also have a 2010 SE, and I've had several experiences in LIGHT snow and slush (which M+S rated tires ARE supposed to be able to handle) and it was like driving around on banana peels. The traction control just waved a little white flag as the tires spun in futility...and EVERY touch of the brakes caused the ABS to kick in....

As for replacements, I've heard lots of good things about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS's, which are only $106 a piece at TireRack at the moment. Was thinking of making the change this summer. Just irks me to have to throw away nearly new tires like that, but I'm NOT going another winter (or fall ... i.e. rainy season) with the Kumhos... just too scary...

Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 PM

I'm not going to defend the tires (I'm not a fan, either), but this is hardly unusual practice. At least it's what you might expect from a lesser brand (Kumho).

Our other vehicle, a Pontiac Vibe, came with Goodyear tires (big name brand yay!) mounted that IMO are considerably worse than the Kumhos on the ET. And it's not like this is a cut-rate practice by the old, ailing GM. These same tires are stock on the Vibe's sister (Toyota Matrix), the Mazda 3, and a bunch of other vehicles.

They were worse in snow than the Walmart specials I had on my first car, (a Sentra, which, as far as I can tell, was not appreciably heavier than the Vibe).

Old 01-21-2011, 11:43 AM
ecy

I'm done with the oem tires-Kumho Solus on my 2010 Touring SE. I'm planning to install new Continental ExtremeContact DWS today afternoon. I will let you all know the result.

Last edited by ecy; 01-21-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 AM

How many miles are on your SE, ECY? And where are you going to get your Conti's?

Since I posted my gripe to solicit opinion, I've taken up the issue Kuhmo didn't call back, crappy doesn't count as legitimate in the complaint department. I called my dealer and they sent me back to Kuhmo on the issue. I called around in a generic fashion (no name, just explained the situation on my SE) and a Boston area dealer service manager told me he's convinced the factory specs these super-hard compounds at the factory for better gas mileage results for EPA. Service managers all, they've heard it a million times and have no weight with the factory on the issue. Tire choice back in Korea is above their pay grade. I wrote the factory and got a ridiculous response back to which I gave a vigorous response yesterday, we'll see what they do with it. I've always had to replace Khumos at 30,000 miles because they got to be like THSES tire are now. But THESE tires only have 6600 miles on them and they're worse than any other at 30,000. Frosts the keister, ya know? On top of a $14,000.00 check and my 2008 Accent in exchange for this car, I get a tire-surcharge of $600.00 thrown in on top 5 months later. I'll let yall know if anything happens, but I probably better not paste their responses, TPTB here might not like it..

Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 PM

Join the club, I do HATE these tires, but I see no point in putting new tires on a new car, so I will endure it for at least a year. My old car came with Continental pro contact tires, and I hated those tires, too. They lasted long, but the ride was awful, due to the tread compound. I also had to replace them before the tread wore out, becouse they couldn't be balanced due to cord movement. I'm probably going to put Yokohama Avid touring tires on this car once the awful blue light special Kumhos wear out, of which will probably be sooner than expected. I'm happy I don't live where it snows, otherwise these tires will be comming off right now.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:40 PM

Yep the Kuhmo's are not great tires. I found them to be slippery when its a little wet. Never used them in the snow.

I lol'ed at the Conti DWS suggestions here, as I decided last fall i would be getting them this spring. I too, used Tire Rack to find them as a suggestion.

BTW anyone from Canada get a quote on the Continentals? 17in models for the SE is what i am looking for.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:24 PM
ecy

OK, almost 15K miles on my 2010 ET SE . Treadlifefor the 2 front tires were half way gone. I didn't bother to rotate them because I hate them and I was researching for new tires.

Last Friday, I made an appointment and 4 new Conti ExtremeContact DWS installed same day at local America's Tire Store. They match the price at tirerack.com which was $106 per tire - good deal and I don't need to wait for shipping.

First 100 miles reivew: DWS is little bit quieter but the ride is much softer on the same commute route on highway. The sidewalls are not stiff as OEM while hard turn but DWS is really extra sticky -better grip. It's too early to write a review on tires but no regrets so far.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 PM

Got a couple of quotes here in the Toronto area for the DWS. $733 and $815 taxes included, balanced and installed.

Not sure if I can price match here in Canada with Tire Rack. The place where I got the $733 price does match other toronto-area retailers.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:49 AM

Last month took my 09 on its first long trip...I dont like these tires either. My gripe was the ride and noise on some road surfaces with these tires. Quite poor.

Quick Reply: OEM Tires..