Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Rattle in Front End

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Default Rattle in Front End

I'm brand new to this forum. I bought my 2010 Elantra Touring GLS last fall. It's a manual and I currently have 7,000 miles on. In January I noticed a rattle coming from the front driver's side of the car. At that time the car had around 4,500 miles on it. It only occurred while driving on rough, bumpy streets. In other words, the typical Milwaukee, Wisconsin street. It was a metal on metal sound. The car wasn't pulling, the steering was tight, there was no vibration at any speed, and the handling was fine so I didn't worry too much about it, but I did find it annoying. I had some free time in late February so I made an appointment with my local dealer to have it looked at. The service advisor called me back later that day, and said it needed a new part. She described the part as a "rubber bumper." She didn't really seem to know too much about it, but did say they had a service bulletin on it. I think she meant a strut bushing? She went on to say that they ordered the part and it would be in by March 4th. I made an appointment for that date and since it was almost due for an oil change I had that done, too. The service advisor called me back later that day and was very apologetic. The technician went to get the part and found it was on national backorder. I asked her if they would call me when the part came in, and she said yes, they would. She then went on to say that they wouldn't charge me for the oil change, and when I picked up the car they had also washed it. So at least I got a free oil change and wash. As of this date I have not heard from the dealer. However, as the weather has gotten warmer the rattle has disappeared. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone know exactly what this is? I'm driving the car 1500 miles to Houston in April so is it safe? I've decided it's safe, but I'm hardly an expert. Thanks

Old 03-15-2010, 09:29 PM

Sense its under recall, get it replaced. Why wouldn't you want your car working in perfect condition.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:26 AM
tub

i think the best is to call your dealer to know if is safe or not but is only a service bulletin not a safety recall and of you are lucky may be the part come in b4 you leave

Old 06-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Unhappy

Lloydmil: if you are still around, can you tell me if you got the strut bushing replaced, and if so, did it solve the problem?

I read the post regarding the ET reliability statistics, and that the ET is now coming out "worse than average." I am not even at 3000 miles and am hearing the squeak (probably the main spring) referenced in the service write-ups found within that post.

Is anyone else hearing a squeak from the drivers front suspension, and does anyone know what TSBs are out there regarding this noise from that area?

Old 06-13-2010, 06:31 PM

I had a creak on the drivers side front end, it sounded like a wooden boat creaking in the water. It didn't always happen while on bumpy roads but seemed to only happen when going over speed bumps and objects like that. I was able to recreate the noise by pushing down on the front fender near the windshield.

After bringing it to the dealer, they did the usual and lubricated ever piece on the front end and they even changed the strut which didn't help with the noise. The last thing was to change the front spring which, so far, the noise has not returned and I now have 5000 miles since then.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:31 PM
ecy

I didn’t realize this issue until reading this post!! I now have 3400 miles. I went to test it out this morning. I went to a parking lot and went over couple speed bumps (going straight) without any issue. However, every time I hear squeak from the rear(not from the front) while pulling into/out of my driveway at an angle. I bought my car in February, so I thought something related to break-in related until I saw this post.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:09 PM

yeah, you definitely DO NOT need to go over large bumps or gravel roads. I can see why people think it is the strut or strut bushing. I can hear it in almost any condition, and it does not get worse when going over speed bumps. It is definitely coming from the front left wheel area. I can't imagine why a spring would behave the way it is, but others have reported that the replacement of the spring did the trick. Who else out there has some input?