Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Roof Rails! - How do I get 'em in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Default Roof Rails! - How do I get 'em in the US?

I really want to be a hyundai owner because the Elantra Touring is the PERFECT replacement for my dead Camry wagon. I know that either the European or Canadian versions (or maybe it was a concept) of the Elantra Touring came with Roof Rails for mounting racks. Does anyone know if these are availble in the US? I have not been able to get anything out of the dealers I've called. I have heard that some dealers can get them under the Parts category rather than the Accessories category but have been unable to verify. I don't want to drill permanant Yakimas into my brand new car. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

The Touring doesn't but the European version called the i30cw (AKA i30 Estate):

i30cw:

i30 Estate

Unfortunately, I don't know how to get access to those parts without going to Europe or contacting a European dealer.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Alternative question: I don't actually need the rails if the Touring has a rack strip on the roof. Does anyone with the Touring know if the seam strip on the roof has pop-outs for rack adapters?

Thanks.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:36 PM

My dealer says he can add them. Roswell Ga.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Thanks Ken. Now I know that there are dealers that can do it. Unfortunately I am all the way in California. If you happen by your dealer for service or something, can you ask him the part #? Thanks.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:55 PM

I would really like to get roof rails. I bought my ET last week, and my dealer said it wasn't an option and he couldn't even get the rails. He suggested I try a local shop that specializes in pickup customization. I'll check with them and post what I find out. So far, it appears that neither Yakima nor Thule has a rack designed for the ET.
Rails would be sweet because it is a lot cleaner.

Papawhisky

Old 07-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Default crossrail kit available

the hyundaiaccessorystore.com sells a universal hyundai crossrail kit. They say it fits elantra and is listed as an accessory for the touring. You might want to check it out....call them on the phone. I called about mudguards and they were knowledgeable about those when my local dealer said they didn't exist yet and called back about all weather floor mats when I asked if the regular elantra would fit the touring. Cost for rack is around $275.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gunwaleman
the hyundaiaccessorystore.com sells a universal hyundai crossrail kit. They say it fits elantra and is listed as an accessory for the touring.
Cross rails are only good if the main roof rack is there. The Touring doesn't have those bars. However, a roof rack will be optional next year. Read this press release:

HYUNDAI EXPANDS ELANTRA TOURING LINEUP WITH NEW GLS MODEL

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., 07/02/2009

When introduced in 2009, the all-new more functional variant of Hyundai’s popular Elantra sedan, Elantra Touring, was looked at as one of best bargains in the industry. Now the Elantra Touring gets even better for 2010 by adding an all-new entry-level GLS model. The new GLS trim is slated to hit dealerships this summer.

“With the Elantra Touring GLS we will drop the base price by about $1,300 without taking away sophisticated features like Electronic Stability Control, four wheel disc brakes or the iPod/USB/Auxiliary jacks,” said Mark Dipko, product manager for the Elantra Touring. “And, the optional built in roof rack offers even more versatility to the class leading interior.

NEW EQUIPMENT HIGHLIGHTS FOR 2010
New trim – GLS
Available roof rails

ELANTRA TOURING GLS - THE GOOD STUFF COMES STANDARD

Elantra Touring GLS builds on Hyundai’s reputation for offering loads of standard equipment, offering air conditioning, power windows, heated mirrors, power door locks, remote keyless entry with alarm, four-way adjustable driver’s seat and plenty of storage compartments. The Elantra Touring also offers standard Electronic Stability Control (ESC), in addition to a host of other class-leading safety technologies.

For audiophiles, an integrated 172-watt AM/FM/XM/CD/MP3 audio system with six speakers and iPod/USB/Auxiliary inputs is standard.

The optional Popular Equipment Package on the GLS adds roof rails, a telescopic steering wheel, steering wheel mounted audio controls, trip computer, eight-way driver’s seat with lumbar support, dual illuminated vanity mirrors, sliding sunvisors, seatback pockets, cooled glovebox, retractable cargo cover, fog lights, illuminated ignition and premium cloth interior. Cruise control is also standard on all GLS models equipped with automatic transmissions.

ELANTRA SE – ADDING A SPORTY FLAVOR

The sport-oriented SE adds all the equipment in the GLS Popular Equipment Package plus a power sunroof with tilt and slide functions, heated front seats, leather steering wheel and shift ****, B&M Racing sport shifter and 17-inch alloy wheels with P215/45R17 tires.
So maybe a factory roof rack will be available for 2009 Touring owners soon.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Default crossrail is the entire kit

although called crossrail kit, it contains everything to carry whatever. It is like a yakima or thule system.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

the hyundaiaccessorystore.com sells a universal hyundai crossrail kit.
although called crossrail kit, it contains everything to carry whatever. It is like a yakima or thule system.

Sorry, but for almost $300, I'm not impressed. This "universal" kit universally probably fits nothing well.

Quick Reply: Roof Rails! - How do I get 'em in the US?