Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Should I change wheels and tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Default Should I change wheels and tires?

Just took my 2010 ET SE in for 15k service, at about 16k actual mileage. I have the 17 inch rims with the Kumho tires. I knew I had a nail/tack in one tire near the sidewall, which wasn't leaking, and I asked the dealer to check all the tires. Turns out both front tires have completely worn the inside edge of the tread away.

So, instead of being prepared to buy one new tire, I will be buying a complete set. My concern is this: Is the poor 16k showing due to the cheapo Kumhos, or can this be attributed more to a low-profile tire in general? Yes, I plan to get a wheel alignment, too.

I don't want to be putting new tires on this car every 20k miles or so. Nor do I want to be driving a set-up that is considered by some less than safe. Here's the thread that put this idea in my head:

Hyundai Elantra Touring Forum - Tire problem - what type of tire should I replace with? - CarGurus

The OP of this thread's experience is similar to mine. I plan to keep this car a good long time--7+ years or so if it lasts that long.

If you were me, would you consider buying a new 15 inch wheel with taller tires, whether for safety, tire longevity, or both? I'd rather plunk out the 5 or 6 c-notes for wheels now if I was pretty sure it would make a difference long term. Just cry once and be done, knowing the longer-lasting tires would pay it back in a few years. Yeah, I love the look of my current rims, but not so much if they aren't the best fit for this car. Interestingly, I see that the 2012 version of the ET, while not the same car in many respects, will wear 16 inch rims.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

16k is a little early. I'd check the alignment. But most factory tires are cheap and wear out quickly. The original tires on my Tiburon were gone at about 23k miles. Your replacement set should laster longer if you buy a get set and make sure the alignment is fine.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:14 PM

While out of town last week, my wife had a tire problem. She took vehicle to the Dealer who informed her that tire needed replacing. They told her that they did not have replacement Khoumo tires, and would be difficult to say when they could get them, so 2 Uniroyal Tiger Paws were installed. They were installed on the rear, but today changed them to the front, will see how they perform. Only 9K Km's on my vehicle.