Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Sunroof rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Default Sunroof rattle?

My sunroof makes a rattling sound on my 2010 SE Touring. The rattle is pretty loud, and even the car idling at certain RPMs will make it worse. If I close the interior cover, the sound is gone.

Is this typical of a sunroof?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by chriskwarren
My sunroof makes a rattling sound on my 2010 SE Touring. The rattle is pretty loud, and even the car idling at certain RPMs will make it worse. If I close the interior cover, the sound is gone.

Is this typical of a sunroof?
If this only rattles with the interior panel slid back and open, then you may want to concentrate on the panel itself or the portion of the headliner right in front of the sunroof opening.

Mine had a rattle that was coming from the sunroof actuator motor which happened in any combination of sunroof/panel open and close configurations. I ended up pulling the sunglass holder/dome light and packing some foam tape between the motor housing and aforementioned plastic trim removed to access the motor. That took care of the rattle for me, not sure if it will help you.

Try grabbing at various pieces while you hear the rattle to try and pinpoint the source. My guess is that the rattle goes away when you close the panel because the friction created when the panel comes in contact with the headliner prevents whatever is loose from rattling.

Good luck!

Old 10-23-2010, 03:28 PM

Thanks tourer!

I can only hear the rattle when it is open, but I have had a heck of a time isolating the part itself; I have tried pressing my finger against various pieces to isolate the part, but no luck. I think the piece sits behind a big black plastic 'guard'.

I actually cannot hear it the first few minutes after getting in the car, but it gets noisy after a few minutes of driving.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Default Sunroof Rattle

My sunroof rattles when i hit the auto button and it opens. I press the button one more time and it opens a little bit more and stops rattling. I also open one of the back windows just a little other wise the air makes a funny sound.
Our touring is a 2009 and has 31k with no problems

Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM

My Corolla had a sunroof and the sunshade would rattle every once in a while. I took it in for this under warranty and they lubed the tracks with some kind of clear grease. What it did was stiffen the shade up by taking the play away in the tracks. No more rattle for over a year. Not sure what the Elantra Touring configuration looks like but maybe it's similar. Of course, if it's still under warranty you should bring it in and have someone look at it.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:39 PM

They put some lube somewhere in the sunroof and the rattling stopped. Hoping that fixed it for good.

Seems that once one rattle or creak is fixed, another appears.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:41 PM

Had the wife bring it in today and they ordered some part for it. Rattling has gotten much worse as it got warm. I have to turn the radio up to drown it out.

I'll post what success there is after the service is complete.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:03 PM

I have 2013 Sante Fe Sport and my sunroof started rattling this summer. I cannot pinpoint where the noise is coming from. There is no noise when everything is closed. The rattle sounds like metal on metal, but from what I can see none of the hardware is loose. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.