Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Suspension/Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Banned
Default Suspension/Transmission Problems

5800 miles on my ET in a year. I bought it last October used with less than 500 miles on it. No accident history from the Car Fax report I saw at the dealership. Was told it was returned b/c the guy was preapproved, but the bank backed out and he had to return it after it was registered in his name.

Took it in about a month back b/c I'm getting low speed squeeking sounds coming from what I believe may be the suspension. They check it out and tell me I need new bushings. New bushings at less than 6K??? Waited a few hours and drove off.

I still hear it when I go over a bump at lower speeds or when I take a corner at low speeds. There are some small rippled bumps in the black top road in front of my house (something you wouldn't even think twice about), except when my car is slowing down to 1-4 mph, the suspension squeeks/rattles real bad. It does sound like bad bushings... but these were replaced... supposedly.

About a week ago I was making a left turn. I accelerated through the turn, but nothing unusual. When I came to my next stop I heard something rattle and sound like it was falling from under the engine. I put the car in reverse, and pulled over to the side of the road. I saw a 6" long bolt right where my car had stopped. I picked it up and put it in the car. I drove off with no other sounds.

I called for an appointment, and have one this Monday.

Today I turned into a driveway to turn around, very gently in and out as there was a short steep incline from the road to the sidewalk. I could hear the front plastic guard barely touch as I pulled back out. After I shifted from Reverse into Drive and pulled forward a foot or two an awful clunk was heard. I stopped, got out, checked under the car... nothing. Drove on about 4 blocks. Came to a stop, put it in reverse and started to back into a parking spot and another real loud clunk. checked under the car again and lifted the hood. Saw nothing unusual. I gave my girlfriend a ride to work, but when I dropped her off she insisted I call her when I got home to let her know I arrived safely. That is how serious it sounded.

I am unsure if this is a suspension issue, or perhaps a transmission issue. The clunks today literally sounded and felt like the bottom of the car was going to fall off. I have checked under the car, I have checked for leaks, or any other unusual signs of problems.

I am uncertain what is going on with my car, but it is quite frightening to say the least. At this point I have considered having it towed in. I pretty much baby this car, never running it hard or doing anything unusual. With only 6000 miles on it now, I have had only to do an oil change. I love my car, but am really concerned this is quite dangerous to drive. I don't drive too much, hence the low miles on it.

Anyone else having similar experiences or experts know what this may be?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Banned
Default Update

Took my ET in. The dealership had it for 1.5 days, mostly to wait for a part for my stereo.

The 4.5" bolt that fell out of my car was from the Transmission. Apparently, it wasn't tight and came loose. Odd. I was told they found another bolt that was slightly off spec, but no others. By the documents I have, it appears this was the only problem that was causing the loud clunking and also making the squeaking sounds when going over bumps. At first I thought it was the suspension, but over time I wondered if it was the transmission because of when it would make the most obvious noise. Slowing down to take corners or go over bumps coincides with downshifting by the transmission which causes some strain.

I drove the car around Mt. Hood the following day, which is a 120 mile trip down some curvy and bumpy roads, I climbed to 6,000 feet up to Timberline Lodge, and drove through some gravel roads. I drove it over the weekend as I normally do and experienced no noise.

If you're having what seems like suspension noise, you may want to have them look over how tight/loose the transmission and engine is.