Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

Manual Transmission Problems.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Default Manual Transmission Problems.

Well first let me say hi i am new on this forum and let me start off by saying alittle about me.

I was looking for a car a little bit over 2 months ago and i remeber seeing the hyundai elantra GT and i liked it alot. I then researched it and saw that they are pretty good reliability wise and driving wise. Plus for the money its a pretty good package. Fine so i looked at ebay and craigs list in NYC and found quiet a few that matched my prefrance. I found one that was silver that was manual of course and had the sunroof package. It had 80,000 miles and the guy was asking $4,900 so i offered him $4,300 and he said fine. I figured the only thing that can go wrong is the clutch and being that he just put a new one in and it came with a Warranty that it would be pretty safe to buy this car and not to worry.

Long behold a few hundred miles later i started hearing ratteling noise. First i thought maybe the engine has a knock. It started getting louder so i brought it to a mecahnic who is a friend of mine and said that this wasnt the engine but the clutch making noise ( Possibly throught bearing) Ok its under warranty nothing to worry about. To make a long story short i brought it to ammco and they said it was not the clutch but something in the transmission. I was like WTF they said that it would cost $500 just to open up and see what the problem and then the $500 would go toward the problem.

Has anyone had the same problem on A 2002 Elantra Manual?
I thought these trannys are pretty good?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:35 AM
Default RE: Manual Transmission Problems.

Hey, welcome to the forum.. That actually don't seem too bad of a price just to look at it, if they open it up, and look at it, they will put the 500 towards it... you might end up spending 1000-1400 to get the tranny fixed. They could actually rebuild the whole thing for about 1400. Worst case scenario. Could be some syncronizers messed up within the transmission, and the only way to check it, is to actually take it apart, so, you might have to pay the 500 to see whats wrong with it. Not sure what else to tell you, when it actually breaks, it will cost even more to repair... Good Luck, keep us posted.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:32 AM
Default Not a great car. Will be costly in the future

Originally Posted by mechanic98
Hey, welcome to the forum.. That actually don't seem too bad of a price just to look at it, if they open it up, and look at it, they will put the 500 towards it... you might end up spending 1000-1400 to get the tranny fixed. They could actually rebuild the whole thing for about 1400. Worst case scenario. Could be some syncronizers messed up within the transmission, and the only way to check it, is to actually take it apart, so, you might have to pay the 500 to see whats wrong with it. Not sure what else to tell you, when it actually breaks, it will cost even more to repair... Good Luck, keep us posted.

I got a Hyundai Elantra SE about 4 years ago and it's been an expensive head ache I wish I never had. First the clutch and flywheel went out 3 days after I got it $1700 at only 3500 miles on the car, then the windows stop working. Then the clutch and transmission went out that was another $1700 then something behind my front tires started leaking so took it to leswab that was another $900. Looking for a new car this weekend and will never get a Hyundai again. My mom got the 2014 Hyundai sSant Fe brand-new only owner it died after 6 years. These cars clearly are not mention to live past 10 years. Shoot my brother had a 1979 food and I have a 1979 Chevy and they both out lasted these costly cars. Super not impressed.