Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Thinking of Buying??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by carolphoto
Thanks for the reassurances in your post that the mileage should improve with my car. Since mine (Elantra Touring GLS 2011 with Automatic transmission) uses twice as much gas as my previous car, an 11 year old Honda Civic (46 mpg for city driving), and consumes a lot more gas than Hyundai states on its website, I am trying to figure out if there is something wrong with this particular vehicle. (Hyundai's figures are 32.5 mpg for city driving and 43.5 for highway.) I was told they could not re-set the engine to improve the mileage. It coasts for three blocks at 30 mph without my foot on the gas so I thought that might be the problem. Anyway, I do hope it improves considerably as it gets broken in, as you say.
The problem is you are comparing it to a magic car.

The new civic hybrid doesn't even get 46 mpg on the highway.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:48 AM

Carol-

I dont know where you arrived at your mileage estimates, but thats not for an ET.
23/30 is what my 09 automatic is estimated at. 2010 and 11 models havent changed.

FWIW- Mine gets the advertised mileage.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 AM

2.0L 4-speed Automatic Transmission with Overdrive - City8.72.0L 4-speed Automatic Transmission with Overdrive - Highway6.5

Thanks for your posts, everyone. I've just checked those figures again. I am using Hyundai Canada's website Hyundai Elantra Specifications | Elantra Specs: Interior, Steering & Fog Light touring, and the figures are 8.7 liters per 100 km for city driving and 6.5 liters per 100 km for highway. I have used a different conversion site L/100 km to MPG or MPG to L/100 km Fuel / Gas Efficiency / Consumption Conversion Chart / Table (Miles per US gallon to liters per 100 kilometers ) and now I get 27 mpg for city driving and 36.19 for highway. I have just now looked at the USA Hyundai website at Hyundai Motors Elantra Touring Specification and you are correct. The numbers are indeed less: 23 mpg for city and 30 for highway. This is very strange. If cold weather is a factor then, if there is any difference, it should take more gas to drive the same car in Canada than in most parts of the US.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by carolphoto
2.0L 4-speed Automatic Transmission with Overdrive - City8.72.0L 4-speed Automatic Transmission with Overdrive - Highway6.5

Thanks for your posts, everyone. I've just checked those figures again. I am using Hyundai Canada's website Hyundai Elantra Specifications | Elantra Specs: Interior, Steering & Fog Light touring, and the figures are 8.7 liters per 100 km for city driving and 6.5 liters per 100 km for highway. I have used a different conversion site L/100 km to MPG or MPG to L/100 km Fuel / Gas Efficiency / Consumption Conversion Chart / Table (Miles per US gallon to liters per 100 kilometers ) and now I get 27 mpg for city driving and 36.19 for highway. I have just now looked at the USA Hyundai website at Hyundai Motors Elantra Touring Specification and you are correct. The numbers are indeed less: 23 mpg for city and 30 for highway. This is very strange. If cold weather is a factor then, if there is any difference, it should take more gas to drive the same car in Canada than in most parts of the US.
Correct link for the touring is actually:

http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/s...ntra%20touring

Although your numbers posted are still correct.

Unfortunately the numbers generated by Transport Canada are a huge pipe dream. From the Transport Canada Website:

Testing and calculation differences
Effective for the 2008 model year, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has added three additional test cycles to its original two cycles of city and highway testing (See 5-cycle testing). As such, their fuel economy calculations are different in order to incorporate the results of the additional tests. These changes have resulted in differences between the Canadian and U.S. (EPA) numbers. Also note that in Canada, we talk about "fuel consumption" while in the U.S., they refer to "fuel economy".

Correction and adjustment factors
In addition to the testing and calculations differences between Canada and the U.S., the correction and adjustment factors also differ. For example, the U.S. EPA applies a correction factor of 22% to their highway fuel economy test estimates to better approximate real-life driving conditions, whereas in Canada, a 15% correction factor is used.

Therefore, both the U.S. EPA fuel economy ratings and the fuel consumption ratings in the Canadian Fuel Consumption Guide can be considered "correct" as they pertain to vehicles in their respective countries. However, the inherent differences do not allow cross-border comparisons. The ratings are only useful when comparing the fuel efficiency of various vehicles within the country in which you reside.
They are essentially saying that while the EPA tries to approximate real life driving conditions, they are content with just making things up.

Last edited by bleedpinstripes; 04-21-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:27 AM

so the after sale service is indeed very important , as 4 me , i would rather to buy the expensive that have good after sale service

Old 03-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Banned

I love mine so far.. bought in September (2012) and now have 8200 miles.. I got the 5 speed and the worst mpg I have gotten has been 27 mpg (cold and mostly city).. most of my driving is mixed, maybe 60/40 (city/hwy) and most fill ups I average right around 30 mpg. On a 350 mile trip the most I have gotten was 37 mpg and that is in the mountains of Colorado. The car has plenty of power going over mountain passes (pleasantly surprised).. Overall, I am very happy with the fuel economy as I expected worse..

To the guy that got 18 ish, there is something really wrong with your car I think..