Hyundai Elantra Touring / i30 The compact wagon / hatchback that has as much cargo space as a Tucson in a car the size of the Elantra sedan.

Touring Fuel Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Default Touring Final Fuel Economy Report

Today we repeated our first fuel economy test as reported here on July 20. We tried to repeat the first run as closely as possible. We drove the same route, 160 miles at 60 MPH (A/C on, speed control on, 35 psi in the tires, etc). The Touring averaged 34.18 MPG (180 miles using 4.68 gallons). The observed N/V was 41.6 using the installed tach and speedo. I also used this as an opportunity to check the accuracy of the speedometer using the highway mileage markers stretched over 60 miles. It looks like the speedo is about 1 MPH fast at 60 MPH (59 actual MPH vs. 60 MPH indicated). Close enough.

The fuel economy gauge registered 35.3 about 1.1 MPG over the actual but more in line vs. the July test. Considering last week's 750+ mile drive at 33.3 MPG I know the car will deliver 33/34 MPG highway.

The July test showed 600 miles on the odo. Today the odo showed 2707 miles at the start of the drive. The July test regestered 32.1 MPG vs today's 34.18 (34.2) MPG. That's an improvement of a solid 2 MPG. The EPA ratings are 23/30/26 MPG/

The engine is broken-in, the running gear is seated and the car is just super.

I'm a very satisfied Turning owner - actually it's my wife's car so she's satisfied also!

Ray

Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Default Touring Typo

Sorry for the typo. The mileage at the end of the second sentence should read 160 miles NOT 180 miles.

This might be due to old age, bad eyes and / or pudgy fingers - or all of the above. Sorry.

Ray

Old 10-14-2009, 10:03 PM

I got my 7,500 mile oil change and it just keeps on getting better. My gas mileage is now 35-36 mpg on highways and even hit 37-38 for periods of time. Commuting to work is now up to 30-32 mpg. Stopping at lights and stop signs really makes a difference on gas mileage.

Somedays it becomes a challenge to see how high I can get it even thought it can be traffic with stop and go driving (left turners on one lanes, school buses, metro buses stopping, etc) Other days, it is just fun to push it around the curves driving it hard. Either way after 6 months it is still fun to drive and I would not give up any gas mileage for extra power.

I too am debating if it is worth getting snow tires or not. I am curious if I need them with the ESC, traction control, etc, etc.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, get snow tires. ESC, TCS, ABS do not create more traction between your wheels and the road. Tires do that. If you live in an area that gets a lot of snow then snow tires are a good investment. Many automotive testers/writers will tell you, 2WD with 4 winter tires is a much better situation than 4WD or AWD with All-Season tires.

I just purchased a set of Firestone Winterforce winter tires for my Tucson yesterday. About a year and a half ago I replaced the Tucson's original 16" tires and wheels with a set of 18" wheels from a Veracruz and BFG g-force T/A KDWS tires. They are awesome in wet or dry conditions but were only so-so in the light snow we got last year. Predictions are for a lot of snow this season so I purchased the Firestone Winterforce snow tires and mounted them on the original 16" Tucson wheels.

FYI, if you go with snow tires, get narrower tires. The original tires for the Tuscon were 235/60-16. The 18" tires I replaced them with were 235/50-18 but the snow tires I got were 215/70-16. That's slightly taller than stock but the 215/65-16 were slightly smaller than stock and I'd rather have the extra height. The narrower tires plow throught he snow better.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Default Touring Results at One Year

Today is my wife's 2009 A/T Touring 1st birthday. The car now has 10,350 miles and the only 'service repair' was an adjustment to the fuel filler door.

The driving has been about 8,000 miles city with the remainder being several highway trips. The fuel economy is consistant at 26/27 mpg City and 33/34 mpg Highway. The car continues to perform, in all respects, beyond our initial expectations.

It IS a keeper!

Ray

Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Happy Birthday! Awesome economy numbers.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Default 31 mpg average

Our new Touring, MT seems to be in line with the rest of your recordings. We left the dealership with 14 miles on the odometer and a full tank of gas. My wife followed our motorhome on interstate, for 140 miles at about 55mph. (Our Manual Transmission model does not have cruise control).
Drove another 140 miles around town-driving split between both of us...mostly 35-45.
Filled tank after this 280 mile trip of half highway and half in town driving. Topped off with 8.96 gallons. Looks like 31 mpg average. Very happy.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:15 PM

ive had my touring gls sport(SE) for a month now, got it as a demo with 6000 km.
i drive almost all city, short stop and go, best i can get is 13.5l/100km
i do absolutely love this car though! i traded from an 07 charger, lotta fun, but terrible in the winter from parking, ok on the roads with all the electric nannies, and new doggie is a tank and took the entire back seat.
he has his own row now, and daddy loves all the toys in the front like the usb, sunroof, heated seats etc.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 PM

I'm in the same boat as the previous poster. I've been getting 11.5l/100km or worse in straight city driving....and that's driving it like a granny for the most part. When I drive "more like my age", it easily shoots past 12l/100kms. Best I've managed was about 8l/100km of 100% highway driving.

I otherwise love this car, but the quoted fuel economy figures appear to be some sort of pipe dream....under 9 litres in the city....NOT possible. Whereas my old Corolla, I could drive that thing like I stole it, and still get UNDER 10 litres....what gives....

Old 10-07-2010, 03:25 PM

is there a breakin period where we can expect better numbers after, cuz this mileage is bordering on my 07 charger 3.5 l which is 4000 lbs, and i used to boot it always!

Quick Reply: Touring Fuel Consumption